Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Balsamic Vinegar...Not Bad for a Migraine

I started getting a headache yesterday afternoon around 12:30. I thought maybe I was dehydrated, but after pounding four water bottles between 12:30 and 4:30, it still didn't get better. I ended up having to wear my sunglasses for the last half of work and all through my evening class. My professor said he would excuse me, but I just didn't want to have to make anything up. On my way home, I was starving, but I didn't want to stop for anything because nothing sounded good. I came home and made a quick meal, but it was so, so good. I roasted some vegetables with balsamic vinegar and tossed them onto pasta and it was heaven. I haven't had pasta in a really, really long time, and this just tasted great. 

I think zucchini roasted in balsamic vinegar might be my new favorite thing. That seemed to be the vegetable that best soaked up the balsamic taste and I can't wait to make some more. A friend of mine, who is also a vegetarian, says that she puts balsamic vinegar on everything. I don't quite put it on everything, but it's really tasty. I love it on salads, roasted vegetables, on veggie burgers, and it's really good with tomatoes and feta cheese. Yum!

Roasted Balsamic Vegetables and Pasta

1 portobello mushroom cap
1/2 eggplant (unpeeled)
1 zucchini
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Pasta of your choice (I used tri-color rotini)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb Cheese wedge
Sun-dried tomatoes for garnish

Cook pasta according to package directions. Roughly chop vegetables, toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread on a greased eggplant and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add cooked vegetables, cheese wedge, and tomato sauce. Stir together and scoop into serving dish. Garnish with sun-dried tomatoes and enjoy! 

398 calories, 63 carbs (high, i know), 10 g fat, 13 g protein, 380 mg sodium

I felt slightly better after eating, but my head was still pounding, so the rest of my night consisted of being dead on the couch with PLL, endless water bottles, and my dark chocolate pomegranate. I had to turn the air on because I was hot and nauseous and let's face it, I live in Florida, so I can do that kinda thing in January.A 9:30 bed time must have done the trick because I felt good enough to run 4 (extremely sweaty) miles this morning :)

Do you put balsamic vinegar (or some other condiment/sauce) on a lot of your foods? What is your remedy for headaches?