Sunday, January 13, 2013

Food, food, food

For those of you who don't know, food is top ranking on my list of favorite things. Last night I made Greek yogurt strawberry banana bread so that I could have it for breakfast this morning. I made some changes to it because I was lacking some ingredients, but it turned out pretty good after a little mishap I had when putting it in the oven. I accidentally dropped it and some of the batter got lost to the oven (RIP), but I was able to save most of it. I found the original recipe on Pinterest. I only had one super ripe banana, so I substituted 1/2 cup of applesauce for the remaining bananas. I also didn't have any eggs, so I got weird and used 3 tbsp of mayo for each egg (mayo is basically just eggs and oil and works really well as a substitute), because for some reason, I have mayo in my house even though I don't really eat it. I also used regular white flour in place of the pastry flour because I didn't have that either. I used vanilla bean Greek yogurt instead of the Chobani strawberry yogurt. So even though I was unprepared, the bread turned out delicious! The original recipe can be found here: http://nosugarsweetlife.com/content/greek-yogurt-strawberry-banana-bread

Here's how mine turned out!


Depending on the size of the slices, this loaf of bread has 5-12 servings, so calorie counts per slice will vary :)


For dinner, I made eggplant roll ups. I used the other 1/2 of the eggplant I had leftover from Thursday. I had a little trouble rolling up my eggplant and getting them to stick with the cream cheese, but they worked just fine because everything was all gooey and stuck together when I took it out of the oven :) The sauce got a little watery, but it went really well when I scooped it out over the top of my roll-ups. They were SO SO good.  Here's the recipe and picture:

1/2 eggplant peeled, sliced into thin slices
Laughing Cow Sundried Tomato and Basil cheese wedges
Spinach
Mushrooms, chopped coarsely
Olive oil
Pasta Sauce of your choice (I used tomato and basil)
Salt and Pepper, to taste 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle olive oil in a pan followed by a thin layer of sauce. I didn't use an entire cheese wedge for each roll up; instead, I cut the wedges into pieces and spread them onto my slices. I then put together a thin layer of spinach and mushrooms and season with salt and pep. Roll up the slices and tuck into the pan. Repeat until all of your slices are used. Add some salt and pepper to your rolled up slices, drizzle with olive oil, and cover with pasta sauce. If you want, you can add shredded cheese over your roll ups and make them more lasagna like, but I just left it like this. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. 

For two roll ups, there are 157 calories, 11 g carbs, 12 g fat (this comes from the olive oil), 4 g protein, and 322 mg sodium. The high sodium comes from the olive oil and the pasta sauce.


Enjoy!