Monday, January 14, 2013

Going the (Worst) Distance

My neighbors woke me up 15 minutes before my alarm went off because it sounded like they were having some sort of party in their bedroom. Children were screaming and banging on walls, a man was talking loudly, and people were laughing; it sounded like there were 50 people in there instead of just 4. Needless to say, I was grumpy and got even grumpier when I realized that today I would only be running 3 miles. Three miles is my LEAST favorite distance. I don't know the exact reason why I dislike it, but I can tell you that I do. As I'm training for my half marathon, I do two 3-mile runs a week, a moderate run (4-6 miles), and a long run (6+ miles). I LOVE doing the moderate to long runs (9 miles on this Saturday was my favorite) because I get a really amazing runner's high and feel like I could go forever. Maybe that's why I hate three miles. I'm like an addict; I need more and more mileage to get high. I am usually just getting into the groove when it's time to stop, so that bums me out (I'd go further, but since I'm getting ready for the half marathon, I don't want to over-train). I'm also stuck running the little loop around my house when I do a 3 miler because I know the distance and that takes the fun out of finding new places. Because I'm running the loop around my neighborhood, I'm stuck on the sidewalks where I have to dodge lizards and give a few squirrels a heart attack. I prefer running in the streets because it's usually more even; I'm hyperaware of my knees and my calves since I've injured both knees and tore a calf muscle this summer. My calves were sore today (still recovering from my run on Saturday), but I've gotten good at listening to my body and realizing what is okay to work through and what is telling me that I need to stop. And even though I hate running 3 miles, I always feel better after I finish. 

This was my recovery breakfast. It was the first time I have ever used spinach in a smoothie and it was YUMMY! Spinach doesn't have much of a flavor on its own, so if you use it in a smoothie, you can add lots of other fruits to sweeten up the smoothie. It looks gross, but I promise it tastes great.

1/3 cup strawberries (more if you want more)
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup vanilla bean Greek yogurt
1/2 cup vanilla coconut milk
ice

Blend all ingredients together until you reach desired consistency and enjoy!