Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thirsty Thursday

This morning started out with me having a conversation with my mom about how to sanitize my dishwasher (since I don't have vinegar or bleach) because I found a bug in there last night and FLIPPED OUT! Since I was freaked out and wanted to sanitize everything, it took all of my resolve to get ready for class. Well, Pandora finally figured out that I love to wobble and played "Wobble" by V.I.C. for me. I wobbled my little butt around my bedroom and put on my hot pants. It's Thursday, I'm wearing hot pants, Pandora played the wobble, so I left the house expecting weirdness and an overall good day/night. As I walked to class, some boy looked dead at me and said "HIIIIIIIII" for 2 minutes and did a little wave. I looked at him and smiled this awkward smile because.... I DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS! The weirdness began early. It continued throughout the day with everyone looking at me with this look like they knew who I was; I knew none of them. I'm going to guess I was looking really good, really bad, or very Justin Bieber-esque and that's why they were all looking at me.

I really wrote this blog because I wanted to share this recipe for stuffed eggplant that I adapted from my Hungry Girl to the Max cookbook. So far it's looking like I'm just using her instructions as guidelines and really only follow the cooking times. Instead of ricotta cheese, I used 2 tbsp of whipped cream cheese, sauteed the eggplant guts with some mushrooms and spinach, mixed it all together with some balsamic vinegar, filled in my eggplant shell, drizzled some more balsamic vinegar over the stuffed eggplant, and baked that sucker :) I only used half an eggplant, so if you want to make this recipe, just double! Recipe and picture follow: 

Balsamic Stuffed Eggplant

1/2 Large eggplant, unpeeled
1 cup baby spinach
1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp whipped cream cheese 
1/4 cup of bread crumbs
salt and pepper, to taste
oregano, italian seasoning, to taste
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Cut the stem end of the eggplant off and cut the eggplant in half. About 1/2 an inch in from the edges of the eggplant, make long slits. Make a slit across the short end of the eggplant as well. Use a spoon to scrape the eggplant guts, chop the guts, then transfer to a skillet. Add spinach and chopped mushrooms to the skillet and cook until soft, adding salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the sauteed vegetables to a bowl and add cream cheese and 1 tbsp of the balsamic vinegar (add more salt and pepper if needed). Add about 1/2 of the bread crumbs, along with the oregano and italian seasoning. Mix all together and scoop into shell of the eggplant. Top with the remaining tbsp of balsamic vinegar and bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, then enjoy!

Each serving has 280 calories, 45 g carbs, 9 g fat, 10 g protein, and 554 mg sodium.




I'm hoping that tomorrow I will have some sitcom worthy material to share after my night out at Main Street tonight. But since it's Thursday, put on your hot pants and let's get weird!