Saturday, January 26, 2013

Four Weeks Until Race Day!

Edit: It was brought to my attention that there are actually FOUR weeks until the race, I'm a dork. It's hard to believe that it is such a short time until the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I am getting really excited, but also a little nervous. The training run for today was recommended to be a 10k race (short compared to the long runs I have been running lately), but since I didn't sign up for a race, I ran the 6.2 miles at the pace I'm hoping to run for the race. I got up at 7 and was out the door by 7:30; I think 7:30 am on a Saturday is my new favorite run time. There's no one out and the sun is just coming up, so it's a gorgeous time. I finished 6.2 miles in 55 minutes at an 8:58 pace. At this point, I'm guessing I'll be running the race around 2 hours (give or take for pit stops to take pictures with the characters). I'd be happy with that, especially since it's my first race and there's going to be all of these distractions because I'm in the most Magical Place on Earth :)

Post run breakfast: french vanilla granola over vanilla yogurt with a banana

Last night, I was actually a responsible adult. I did homework, cleaned, cooked, read a boatload of fitness blogs, and went to bed early. Who am I? Tonight, I plan on ditching the responsible adult in me again because Chris and Brooke are having a shin-dig and then we're going downtown :) Cannot wait to dance! 

The dinner I made last night was DELICIOUS! It was Hominy and Black Bean chili. I REALLY like hominy beans, but I don't buy them very often. I think I'm going to add them to my pantry more. They're savory and really taste like Mexican food to me (i don't know if that's weird or not). They also taste great on salads! 

I don't think I've ever mentioned this, but when I cook, I don't really follow the recipe and I kind of wing it with the measurements and things like that. The measurements I give you are appropriate amounts if you're measuring out though, so don't fret! The calorie counts are accurate too because I calculate them using the measurements I give here. My actual meal might be just a little more/less than what you make because you're actually measuring things out :) The chili recipe is as follows:

3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 can reduced sodium black beans (15 oz can)
1/2 can hominy beans (15 oz can)
1 small bell pepper (any color)
1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles 
Chili powder (to taste)
Oregano (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)

I mixed everything together in a large pot (covered) and put on medium heat for about 15 minutes. I let the chili simmer for about 5 more minutes and then served! It was hearty and delicious.

 
Serves 4. 181 calories, 2 g fat, 36.5 g carbs, 6 g protein

Please excuse the picture in the background; we survived camp and it's one of my favorite pictures. Today, I'm spending the day with my former boss, Ann, and I'm really excited about it :) Hopefully we'll see some cool wildlife and have some fun adventures today :)

How are you spending your Saturday?