Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Unexpected Compliments

Yesterday, I got an invitation from two girls who I went to undergrad with to join their new fitness group on Facebook. The message that I received basically said that they were creating a support system for themselves and other young women, they loved my blog, and they wanted me in the group to serve as an inspiration and to offer advice since I've done what they're trying to do. I was floored, absolutely floored. It was amazing to me that I was seen as an inspiration and that people were actually seeking me out for help with their own weight loss. Never in my life would I have imagined that I would be in this position. It was a total boost to my confidence and reinforced all of the hard work I've put in to get to where I'm at right now. Thank you so much for your kind words, Kaila and Brittney :)

Last night for dinner, I made a spaghetti squash pesto "pasta" dish. Recently, I've fallen in love with spaghetti squash because it's similar to pasta, but you can eat so much more of it without feeling guilty. I was in a hurry because I was starving, so I microwaved the spaghetti squash.You can add any type of sauce or seasonings to it and it's delicious. Here's my recipe!

1 spaghetti squash
4 tbsp pesto
2 cups of roasted vegetables
1 Laughing Cow Sun-dried Tomato and Basil wedge
Salt and pepper, to taste

 Microwave the squash for 5 minutes to soften the skin; when skin is soft, cut the squash and scrape out the guts and seeds (just like a pumpkin). Then microwave the two halves for 6-8 more minutes. Let stand about 5-10 minutes before you try and touch them. If you want to bake the squash, there are directions on the sticker for this. Take a fork and scrape out the insides of the squash into a bowl; they should look like little noodles. Depending on the size of the squash, you should get 4-6 cups of "pasta" from this. To roast the vegetables, I heated my oven to 350 degrees. I tossed chopped broccoli, mushroom, and green pepper (you could do any vegetables, this is just what I had) in olive oil, salt, and pepper and baked for 20 minutes. After the vegetables were finished, I added them to the bowl of squash. I then added some more salt and pepper, the Laughing Cow wedge, and the pesto. Mix everything together and enjoy!

I will probably only get 3 servings out of this because I like to indulge, but depending on your view of serving size, your calorie count might be different. Mine is as follows: 229 calories, 15 g carbs, 11 g fat, 3 g protein, and 251 mg sodium.


Tonight I'm making a mushroom and broccoli stir fry with brown rice, low sodium soy sauce, and honey. YUM!