Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Somber Morning plus Workouts and Recipes

When I drafted this post last night, I had a title that reflected my excitement about being back in the gym and being back in the kitchen. That was until I woke up to some sad news this morning. Last night, there was a shooting at my alma mater, Coastal Carolina University. It happened around 7:30 pm at one of the residence halls. The young man who was shot, Anthony Darnell Liddell, passed away as a result of his injuries. The shooter is still at large. My Facebook newsfeed and my Twitter feed were covered with well wishes for the victim's family; it's amazing to think that even though many of us did not know this young man, we are all joined together, simply by the fact that we attended this small university. Please keep Anthony Liddell's family and friends in your thoughts and hearts today. I'll be wearing my teal for you, Anthony. Chanticleer pride

To read the story, please click here. Not much information has been released yet.

Below is most of what I drafted last night (with some added today), before I received this somber news:

I don't think I've ever been so excited to go to the gym, even if it's the lame gym at my condo complex. I only took two days off to rest after the Disney Princess Half Marathon, but I'm giving my legs at least a week to recover before I go running again (although I'm super excited to get back out there)! My legs honestly felt ready to go for a run today, but I didn't want to push it. Today consisted of cross-training through walking on the treadmill at an incline (two sets of 5 minutes walking at 3.5 mph at an incline of 5, and 5 minutes of walking at 3.5 mph at an incline of 7) and following an adapted version of Julie at PBFinger's workout from yesterday (I only did two sets of her circuit, but I was SWEATY!). At my condo's gym, I didn't have access to a jump rope, so I simulated jumping rope for that portion of the workout.

Today's breakfast was one inspired by Amanda at Running with Spoons. I hardly ever eat cereal as something other than a snack, but Amanda put a new spin on cereal for me! It never crossed my mind to use yogurt as a base (if that's the right word) for cereal (since I don't drink milk and usually eat cereal dry) until I stumbled across her blog. So, for breakfast today, I had Stonyfield's 1 cup of Low Fat Organic Strawberry yogurt, 1/2 cup of frosted mini wheats, 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries, and 1 tbsp of chocolate chips. It was so yummy (Thanks, Amanda)!

Yesterday I went grocery shopping (9:30 am on a Tuesday is the time to go grocery shopping, there is no one there), so now I can return to the kitchen and share some new recipes since I've been slacking in the food department as of late. For dinner, I had couscous (the food so nice they named it twice) and roasted vegetables seasoned with honey and curry. It was so simple and super yummy! It had been added to the Pinterest board for sure!

Roasted Honey & Curry Vegetables with couscous

1/2 cup broccoli
10 asparagus spears
Half package of baby carrots
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp curry powder
salt (to taste)
1/2 tbsp olive oil

Roughly chop all vegetables and toss in olive oil. Add salt, curry powder, and honey; toss to coat. Roast at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (longer if you want softer vegetables). Cook couscous according to package. When finished, transfer couscous to your serving dish and top with the roasted vegetables. Enjoy!

This recipe made two servings, so adjust it accordingly! I added a little drizzle of honey to the top of my vegetables after I placed them over the couscous, and it was so delicious. I'm excited to be back in the kitchen and I hope to have some more recipes to share with y'all soon!


Again, if you could all keep Anthony Liddell's family and friends in your thoughts today, that would be amazing. If you can, maybe throw on a little teal to show your support for the Chanticleers as they mourn the loss of a student today.