Thursday, February 28, 2013

First Attempt at Creating a Circuit Workout Plus a Yummy Recipe

This morning I started out with 8 minute abs and the first body weight circuit workout that I ever created! It got me really sweaty and I'm already getting a little bit sore, so I'd like to think that it was a success so far. My arms are hurting like crazy! I only had time to do one circuit, but I've put together an image of a combination of cardio and this circuit workout that I think could be beneficial (in my not-so-expert opinion). You can repeat it as many time as you want, but I plan on doing this tomorrow and will repeat it at least three times.



Obviously, you can substitute any machine/running speed for the solely cardio portion, and you can break up the body weight exercises if need be (it's 10 minutes total if you do them all in a row). I liked to use the stationary bike when I was cross-training for the Disney Princess Half Marathon , so that's why I chose that machine. It's not the best for burning a lot of calories in a short amount of time, but when you up the resistance, your legs get a great workout.

For dinner last night, I made what I'm deeming "green rollups." Now, they're not green, but they're filled with basically only green ingredients, hence the name "green rollups." I filled mine with spinach, aspargus, broccoli, white onions, and cream cheese. 


Green Rollups (makes 4)
1 can Jumbo Flaky Pillsbury Rolls
1 cup chopped broccoli
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup chopped asparagus (chopped into fourths)
1/4 onion, chopped
4 laughing cow garlic & herb cheese wedges

Separate can of Pillsbury rolls into four (serving size is 8, so that leaves two biscuits for each roll up). Try and keep the triangles as attached to each other as possible. Spread 1 Laughing Cow cheese wedge onto each pair of biscuits. Layer broccoli, spinach, asparagus, and onions into each pair of biscuits. Roll up as you would normally roll the biscuits (see below for finished product). Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (longer if you want crispier rollups).


This was super simple and really yummy. I think pizza dough would be a good thing to use, but the rolls baked together nicely and I didn't have as many issues with the completed products as I had anticipated when I initially rolled them together. I think I might do broccoli and cheese next time. I had a salad on the side with spinach, cucumbers, cottage cheese, tomato, onion, and zero calorie Chipotle Ranch dressing.

Be sure to check the Pinterest board for this recipe and all other recipes on my blog!

In honor of it being Thursday (and the beginning of my Spring Break), I'm leaving you with this song. Get ready for some silliness in upcoming posts ;)


(P.S. I just figured out how to do this, so everybody applaud for me :D)

I'd also love to hear your feedback on my little circuit workout I created (if you try it)!

Happy Thursday!!