Friday, February 1, 2013

I Really Only Have It Together in the Kitchen

 Last night was a typical Thursday night. I actually didn't go out by myself (shocker) before meeting up with friends. I drank all my beers between 9 and 10:00 so I was good and ready by the time that Chris and Brooke got to the bar. I met up with them and while I was waiting in line for the bathroom, a girl came up to me and said "are you Rachel?" I said that I am and she said "Oh! Chris and Brooke said you're coming and that you're a hoot." It's nice to know that your friends speak kindly of you, even though your life is actually a disaster! The night consisted of me talking to random men (per usual), yelling at a man because he tried to cut me in line for the bathroom (and getting away with yelling at him, because that happens), dancing around, and posing for photos with wine glasses so that I look put together for once in my life. I actually introduced myself at one point, after someone had said that I was ridiculous, as "hi. my name is Rachel, and I'm a shit show." Might as well lay it all out there, everyone's going to find out anyway. I may not be good at not being a shit show, but in the words of Billy Currington, I'm pretty good at drinking beer.

 Keeping it classy with a glass of wine (that's not even mine). This photo pulled me out of the shambley-ness for a short period of time. But don't worry, I returned to the dark side.

 I went to the gym this morning and killed it; I actually had everything I needed to be at the gym, but apparently no one wanted to me to be there because EVERYONE was staring at me. I looked at myself when I got home and I didn't look that weird at all, and I was actually wearing matching clothing.. haters gonna hate. I was walking to my car when two people drove past me and yelled "RACHEL!" I had no idea who they were, so I had to pretend like I did because they knew me. Turns out they're friends of a friend, but I still have no idea where I met them. I'm guessing that if I did meet them, it was only a brief period of time...

Okay, real talk.  Down to the point of this post. The only place that I have my act together 98% of the time is in the kitchen. Today for lunch I made a pita-version of a burrito. I stuffed my sandwich with black beans, hominy beans, and cheese. I also made guacamole on the side.



 Last night I made an eggplant "lasagna." It was super yummy. I included zucchini, spinach, Portobello mushroom, and tomatoes. I grated the zucchini and it was a really, really good decision. Grated zucchini is a little wet, so if you wanted to use it for zucchini pancakes or anything else, I'd recommend patting it dry with some paper towels. The zucchini was a really nice touch. I shredded some cheese over the top and it was delicious. I honestly wanted to eat the entire pan.

I had no ricotta cheese, so I blended up 1 cup of cottage cheese with a laughing cow cheese wedge

Eggplant Lasagna

1 eggplant, sliced (slices then cut in half)
1/2 Portobello mushroom cap
1/2 zucchini (grated)
2 cups spinach
1 cup tomato sauce
4 vine ripe tomatoes
Shredded cheese of your choice
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover bottom of pan with just enough sauce so that there is a thin layer. Lay eggplant slices on bottom of the pan. Layer on half of the cottage cheese mix. Pile on zucchini, spinach, and mushrooms. Layer the other half of the cottage cheese mix. Place remaining eggplant slices on top. Cover with rest of sauce and tomatoes. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!






 What delicious meal have you recently made? Have you ever had someone know your name but you had no idea who they are?