Saturday, February 9, 2013

New Shoes and Final Race Instructions

Well, I went to Running Zone yesterday for the first time and had my gait analyzed and came away with some new shoes. These babies were pretty expensive, but I know that if I love my feet and take care of my feet then my feet will take care of me. I really liked going to a running specialty store because they just let me take the shoes outside and do a few laps. I was choosing between three shoes, and ultimately, I went with these guys, but won't be wearing them until Monday because a 12-mile run was on today's agenda and I want to start gradually with these shoes:
Saucony Progrid Ride 5

I also wanted you to see a picture of all of the vegetables I included in my stirfry last night for dinner... This was before the stir fry was cooked. The vegetables are spinach, zucchini, red onion, mung bean sprouts, tofu, and green bell pepper. I just sauteed it in garlic, low sodium soy sauce, and honey, then served it over brown rice. It was nice and simple, but for some reason, it didn't really hit the spot. I hate when I'm disappointed in the food department.


I also got an e-mail outlining the final instructions for race day for the Disney Princess Half! It's hard to believe that race day is just two weeks away! I'm getting super excited, but also kind of nervous! I hope that being up/moving around at least 2 hours before race time won't mess with my running because my body is used to getting up and going; the longest I ever wait around is 30 minutes. I found out that there will be about 24,000 runners, of which only 1500 are men! That's a ton of people. I wish they would send out a map of where the characters will be positioned so I know where I want to stop running so that I can pose for photos. If anyone has run this race, do you have any suggestions about posing for photos with characters?

I ran 12 miles in about 2 hours today at a 10:15 pace. That's a lot slower than what I want to run during the race, but then again, I'm just looking to finish the race so I guess time doesn't matter. Especially since it's my first half. There were a lot of people out this morning and I saw some interesting things... There was a piece of sod in the road that some man in an SUV stopped traffic for so he could go back and take it, there was poop on the Melbourne Causeway, and I'm not sure if it was dog or human (we all know running makes you have to go), a white van was circling me and I was afraid I was going to get kidnapped, a man yelled at me out his window, did a U-turn, and drove really slowly past me so he could stare at me (if this was anyone I know, please tell me). This run was so much better than last week's run in that I wasn't so miserable. I also didn't really get heat rash from my race outfit, which is fantastic! I have a little on my stomach, but it's not bothering me as much as it did last week. My legs, and especially my IT Band, were really sore when I was finished, so I got out my beach mat and stretched in the parking lot... I got a lot of weird looks for that, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

I hope everyone has an amazing Saturday!