Saturday, February 2, 2013

Now Hiring an Athletic Trainer: Will Pay With Food

Okay, so I know that food doesn't really pay your bills (unless you're a chef/baker/food service worker), but it is my philosophy that a happy tummy = a happy life. Those who know me well know that I would love to pay all of my bills with food (I mean, I did bake the bartenders cookies because I never tip them and they're still so nice to me). I think food is one of the best ways to bring people together and I love to cook and be in the kitchen. So, all of my EXSS and Kinesiology friends, if you wanna move in with me and be my athletic trainer (aka stretch me out, tape me up, and massage my feet because I'm too lazy to do those things myself), I will pay you in food and we will be BFFs forever.

I stretched out this morning when I got home from my run (reluctantly, so my new trainer, please move in ASAP) and had to ice my knees because my IT Band was bothering me. I didn't feel like making ice packs, so I channeled my inner shambley-ness and used frozen alcoholic beverages to ice my knees. That's normal, right? I gave myself a calf massage with some Bengay after my shower, so if you smell an old man, it's probably me.


I did an 11-miler today as my long run for the week. I've been trying to do my long runs in the outfit I have planned for race day and overall, I'm happy with my outfit. I plan on wearing compression shorts, running shorts, a sports bra, and an Underarmor Heat Gear shirt. Pro of the Heat Gear: I get less sweaty on an 11-mile run than I do on a 3 mile run (that could also be due to the fact that it was 50 degrees and windy while I was running). Con: Heat rash on my tummy. I usually run in a sports bra and shorts, but since it was chilly out (and I anticipate it will be chilly on race day morning), I wore a shirt over my sports bra. Worse comes to worse, I'll take the shirt off when I feel the heat rash setting in. It didn't really start bothering me until miles 9-11, so it wasn't too bad.

Things I saw on my run this morning: a man almost fall off of his bicycle into the street because he was paying attention to me and not what he was doing, two turkey vultures that looked like the wanted to eat me, and an old man who wanted to throw me into his trunk. I don't know what it is about women joggers, but no matter how covered up these women are, men will always ogle them.

My post run breakfast was a big one and was SO yummy! I had a cup of yogurt topped with 1 mango, 6 strawberries, 1/4 cup of granola and then had a glass of chocolate coconut milk on the side. Yum, yum, yum!


Super long runs really exhaust me for some reason, so I'll need a nap in a little bit before I can be productive. I'm currently watching The Lion King II: Simba's Pride on TV (it's not like I'm an adult) and have no plans for the rest of the day.

How are you spending your Saturday?