Thursday, February 14, 2013

Recommitting to Healthy Living and My New Fitness Best Friends

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, which marked the start of the Lenten season. I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I was raised in a home where we always observed Lent and I'm trying to at least continue that tradition living on my own. Even if you're not religious, the Lenten season (or any period of fasting) is an excellent opportunity to make yourself a better person. While I am really committed to working out and eating well (for the most part), I have an issue with snacking late at night/overeating after drinking. For Lent this year, I'm giving up late night snack fests (aka slices of pizza after drinking) and I'm taking on strength training through body weight exercises. Yesterday, I used this Ab Exercise created by Brooke at Running in Heels. I didn't do the 8 minute run because I had run in the morning, but the other exercises killed my abs (Thanks, Brooke!). This morning I did 8 Minute Abs and it killed me, per usual. Since today was my "rest" day, I'm only doing abs and I might do some yoga in the evening, but that's it. Tonight will be the first test of my "stop eating everything in sight" resolution for Lent. It will probably mean eating a bigger dinner before I go out or drinking less beer, but both of these are achievable feats, and I think I can do it. I'll let you know ;)

In honor of Valentine's Day today, I bought myself a few little presents when I was at Walmart picking up supplies to put together my Valentines gifts for my friends. I have two favorite purchases: my new foam roller and my new yoga shorts ($5). I've never really used a foam roller, but my IT band was REALLY tight on my right side yesterday, so instead of bothering Mike and the football team, I bought my own (it was $15, not expensive at all). Holy. Cow. I felt AMAZING afterwards, although I'm kind of bruised along my sides right now. I can't wait to do it again. I rolled out my hip flexors, my back, my IT band, and my shins. LOVE IT. Seriously, my new BFF. I didn't take a picture of me foam rolling because I was wearing my new yoga shorts and I wasn't sure if the world really wanted to see how bootylicious I am. I seriously love these shorts; they're comfy, they're so soft, they're not too tight, and they make my butt (my favorite body part) look fabulous. What more could a girl ask for? I'm seriously debating going back for more. I also bought a new pair of running shorts ($6) but I haven't tried those out yet.

I have been distributing Valentines gifts to my friends today and I'm having a blast. It always feels so nice to give things to people, even if it's a small thing. Tonight, I have a lady date with some friends. We're planning on ordering a heart shaped pizza from Papa John's and drinking some beer. Then, we're going to Main Street (since it's Thursday) and I plan on distributing more Valentines to random people. I'm also debating whether or not Valentine's Day is an excuse to wear my pink tutu from Halloween... I think it is, but I'm not sure if I'll look like a total weirdo just running around in a hot pink ballerina tutu.

I thought it was fitting to take a picture of my Valentine's Day gifts for friends against my pink walls

Happy Valentine's Day, my loves! Do you have any special plans? Did you make anything to hand out to the people you love?