Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday: Vegetarian Style

I spent Super Bowl Sunday being incredibly lazy. I actually got some studying done, but I also took a nap, watched the Puppy Bowl and ate a lot of food (that's a daily activity though). I got the idea to make vegetarian pulled "pork" because I figured I might as well have some football treats, even if I'm not really watching/don't care about the game. I made a run to Publix to pick up my items and get some produce for the week since I was almost out anyway. There were a ton of people out, but surprisingly, I was in and out in a reasonable amount of time. I even took time to peruse the bakery section and the bulk food section so I could make note of what I wanted to buy when I don't have so much food in my house already. I did buy some garlic spread that I cannot wait to try...and they had ice cream on BOGO so now I have 2 1/2 tubs of ice cream in my freezer (don't judge). I did end up going to TGI Fridays for the second half of the game, but I did basically the same thing there, I was just with Chris and Brooke. We spent the night eating (I ran a train on some dips) and laughing (I have a dark history with farm animals) and just enjoying good company.

For my pulled "pork," I shredded half a package of tofu (I needed to use it before it went bad) and cooked it on the stove top with some mung bean sprouts (found in the Chinese produce section of Publix), and some Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet Vidalia Onion BBQ Sauce.  The BBQ sauce had a hint of sweet and spicy in it and I really, really liked it.

Mung bean sprouts [image credit]


Vegetarian Pulled "Pork"

1/2 package tofu (drained, patted-dry, and shredded)
1 cup mung bean sprouts
BBQ Sauce to taste

Shred the drained and patted-dry tofu using a cheese grater (you could also sliver it, but shredding made it look more like pulled pork) and put into a pan over the stove. Add the mung bean sprouts and the BBQ sauce to taste. Cook on medium, stirring occasionally. After ten minutes, turn off the heat and enjoy your BBQ "pork"!

 Makes 3 servings at 167 calories each (267 if you add in the pita bread I used here)!


If you can't find mung bean sprouts or you don't like them, I would add purple cabbage or anything that will give you a crunch. Tofu is chewy on its own, so that extra bit of crunch was what really made the sandwich. I served a salad on the side; my salad consisted of spinach, cucumber, hominy beans, tomatoes, and zero calorie Chipotle Ranch dressing. Yummy!

I had the game on in the background, but to be honest, I wasn't really into it. I wanted to see the commercials and I wanted to see Beyonce (who killed it by the way, did you see that outfit? I workout so I can wear outfits like that, so hook a sister up, Bey!). Even though I wasn't drinking beer or surrounded by people (and today was supposed to be a rest day), I did a workout I found on Pinterest during the first half of the game. It required me to pay attention to the game so I knew when the workouts were coming, but it was a fun way to burn a few calories and make up for the fact that even though I ran and worked out this weekend, I was an overall bum.  Here's the workout (even though it's past due because the game is over). I realize it was Super Bowl 47 and not 42 like the workout says.


Did you watch the Super Bowl? What was your favorite commercial? 
I think one of my favorites was the Oreo commercial in the library where everyone is fighting.