Monday, February 18, 2013

Surviving Sarasota

Well, somehow I survived Sarasota..again. I think 22 can successfully be described as the year that I lost my mind, and I'm okay with that.

I rallied and got up at 8:30 am (after going to bed at 6 am) and was out the door to Sarasota by 9:15. I somehow stayed awake the entire 3-hour drive with no coffee, but I did eat 1.5 cucumbers on the way there. For some odd reason, cucumbers are my favorite road trip snack and I had a cucumber and a half that I had sliced up the night before because I hadn't used it all during the week. I got to Kel's at about 12:15 and we headed to lunch right away because we were both starving. We both really wanted Mexican food, so we headed down to Main Street to eat at Two Senoritas. There were SO many people out and we had to literally fight our way through the crowds to even get to the restaurant. When we got there, we were warned that we would have to wait to be seated because they were busy and were two servers short. We honestly didn't have to wait that long to be seated, but we did have to wait forever for our waiter to greet us and bring us waters. I ordered a margarita and Kel ordered a Mojito but we were both so disappointed in our drinks that we had to send them back. My margarita tasted like straight up syrup and I couldn't even drink it. So so sad. The salsa was amazing though and when my food came it was pretty decent. I got spinach enchiladas and Kel got a taco salad (which was not what she ordered, but we had already sent our drinks back so she just ate it anyway). While we were waiting for our plates to be cleared (which they never were), the doors to the outdoor patio literally exploded open on us; they jammed my fingers and Kelly screamed, but we couldn't stop laughing. Our check finally came, but he didn't ask us if we wanted separate checks and since we had so many difficulties already, we just put both of our cards into the billfold and split it down the middle. Big mistake. He charged my card twice and Kelly's card zero times. We had the manager fix it, but so far the other two charges haven't cleared from my bank account (fingers crossed I don't have to fight them!) I don't think we will be going back there again.


After we finished lunch, we ran to Trader Joe's because Kel wanted me to try their guacamole with Greek yogurt. I LOVE Trader Joe's, but we don't have one anywhere near Melbourne, so I bought a random assortment of snacks. I got a tub of dark chocolate almonds, a jar of cookie butter, and a dark chocolate coconut caramel bar. Again, there were 10,000 people there, but all of the items we purchased were worth waiting for.


When we got back to Kelly's house, we took a nap because we were planning on going out and I was running on almost zero sleep. After our nap, we ate about 3/4 of the tub of guacamole (which was AMAZING) and started getting ready to go out. It was really cold, but I had only packed one outfit for going out, so I sucked it up because being fashionable always outweighs practicality ;) We started out at the Hub and had mango margaritas, which were so much better than the one I tried earlier, and took a shot. The shot was huge and difficult to get down, but we were having fun and being silly so it didn't matter. We walked down the street to Old Salty Dog and got the LARGEST beers ever  (I don't know why I didn't take pictures of those) for 2.50 each. What a deal! We then went to Beach Club, where I was a dancing machine (per usual) and got really silly. I woke up the next morning with a knee swollen to the size of a softball, some scrapes, and lots of bruising. I'm not sure why the universe hates me in Sarasota, but last time, my shin got scraped and I have a scar. Maybe I just need to be more careful. We went to bed at 5:30, like crazy people, making that the second night in a row where I was up until an obscenely late time. Seriously, I've lost my mind.

 Mango Margs
 Red headed sluts
This picture does not do the damage justice (don't worry, it won't interfere with my race)

In the morning, I rallied the troops and we met our friend Justin (from college, he lives in Tampa) for an amazing breakfast at Station 400. I was STARVING and took zero pictures of my meal, but I had an egg white omelet with goat cheese, asparagus, and chives. It was served with rye toast and hash browns. I don't usually like eggs, but this was pretty good. I also had an amazing strawberry mimosa with strawberry pearls at the bottom of the glass. After breakfast, we went to Siesta Key to show Justin around and had a beer at the Daiquiri Deck before it was time for Justin to head back to Tampa.  Kel and I then ran a few errands before heading back to her house, where I finished the rest of the guac, took a power nap, and we got ready for lady date part 5000. We went to Eat Here on Siesta Key and it was AMAZING! We were living in carb city there, but it was so worth it. We got their bruschetta, which consisted of chopped tomatoes, pesto, and an olive tapenade. We also got a vegetable pizza and the best grilled cheese ever. The grilled cheese was made with garlic bread and had muenster and gueyre cheeses and carmelized onions. Holy. cow. We also had these amazing pomegranate martinis. Seriously, I was in a food coma by the time we went home. We really wanted ice cream, so we walked over to an ice cream shoppe before we realized that they were cash only and we had spent all of our cash already. We thought we would go back to the Beach Club then for their happy hour, but once we got there, we decided that we did not want to be there, so we just went home. We relaxed and watched a movie before going to bed at a reasonable time.

 Grilled cheese to die for
 Pomegranate Martini

Kel was going to Disney World today with her work, so we were up and out of the house by 5:30 am. I got home by 9 and got right into bed. I was and still am exhausted. I also had the most ridiculous road rage ever while I was driving. I hardly ever get road rage because you never know who's crazy and who's going to hurt you if you get mad at them, but today I was literally just screaming in my car because I caught every red light and people were driving so so slow. I think it was just the fact that I was overexhausted and just wanted to be home, because I feel a lot better now.

How was your weekend? Have you ever felt like you have lost your mind (in a good or in a bad way)?