Monday, February 11, 2013

Three Mile Test Run and the TV show "Parenthood"

Before we get down to the actual point of this post, I wanted to provide you all with a short recap of my Saturday night. Somehow, every time I go out to the bar, my night ends up following the plot line of the movie Taken. Two Saturdays in recent history, I have gone to Main Street (my save haven) and have ended up being whisked away by the same group of European men. Last night, Europe was a hoot. The night started out normally until we left Main Street and went to another bar. At this second bar, Northern Ireland encouraged everyone to touch my thighs (he made me flex) because I'm a runner and I have "extremely strong thighs", he then bought me a non-alcoholic beer (which was the most DISGUSTING thing I have ever tasted) and I tried to pawn that off on the other Europeans. England then bought me an alcoholic beer to make up for the non-alcoholic beer (much appreciated). Northern Ireland and England were dancing around each other, pinching my cheeks, grabbing my nose, and blowing raspberries on my cheeks. They also quizzed me about sea horses, because that was the topic they chose as a representation of my marine biology knowledge. I left the bar with Northern Ireland and England to get some pizza, where they continued dancing and being out of control. They then made me give them one piggy back ride each because they wanted to test my runner's thighs to see how strong they were. They were very impressed with me. On the way back to their house, they made me animals out of pipe cleaners they found in my backseat. When we got back to their house, they said "only three people in the world know where you are right now," which made me think they were going to kill me, but I made it out alive. Thank goodness. That was one heck of a Saturday.

Before we get down to business, here's the obligatory dinner picture from last night:
Raspberry Chipotle baked tofu, couscous, and sauteed spinach and onions


Now down to business. I took my new shoes out for a test run this morning. They were snug when I put them on and for the first 1/2 mile, I wasn't sure if I liked them or not. They loosened up quite a bit during the run and I think I'm almost sold on them! I had noticed recently that my calves and feet were aching after every run, no matter the distance. My calves and my feetsies do not hurt today, so I'm going to attribute that to the new shoes! Of course I'm going to keep trying them this week to make sure that I do like them, but they passed this morning's test! Even the weird "Are you running from me guy" liked them because he yelled at me to try and get my attention while I was far away from him and when I ignored him, he asked his signature question over and over until I answered. I did an extra lap around the block so that he doesn't know where I live because he's kinda starting to freak me out.

Yesterday, I started watching the TV show "Parenthood" on Netflix because there was nothing on TV and I always see how Hungry Runner Girl watches the show while she's doing her treadmill workouts. I really liked the first few episodes that I watched, but one thing that I think has me hooked is the fact that they address Asperger's Syndrome. For those of you who don't know me, I am a huge advocate for the special needs population. Asperger's Syndrome is on the Autism Spectrum and is considered to be a high-functioning form of Autism. Many people with Asperger's Syndrome have a skill or subject that they are very interested in and excel in that area. I think that Autism Spectrum Disorders and other cognitive and learning differences are very misunderstood in our culture and I like that a popular TV show addresses Asperger's Syndrome and gives out correct information about the disorder. I especially liked when the doctor who diagnosed Max with Asperger's said "This is not a prison sentence" because learning and developmental disabilities are not prison sentences. Some of the most beautiful people I have come across in my life have had Down Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorders, and Cerebral Palsy. I have learned many life lessons from working with special populations, and I give two thumbs up to the creators of "Parenthood" for shedding some light on a subject that isn't easy to address.

For more information about Autism, please visit these links:
Autism Speaks
About Autism