Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Weekend Recap & Returning to Running as Therapy

Hi everyone! I am still alive, but I've been busy the last few days! This post is going to be another semi-serious one (sorry for that lately), so I'll start with my weekend recap first to lighten the mood :D

I started Friday morning out with the rowing machine and could only do 20ish minutes before it totally kicked my butt. I'm planning on doing it again at least once this week as it was a fun workout and I was sore for two days afterwards. It has been a while since I have been that sore after a workout, and it felt great.

Then, I spent the rest of my afternoon doing field observations for my education class. By field observations, I mean I sat on the beach, looked at the ocean, watched the birds, and got a suntan. Tough life.
On Saturday, I got up and did some yoga and foam-rolling to take care of this pesky IT band. Then, I headed out to Clearwater Beach to get some sunshine before I met up with my cousins! They were coming to the Tampa area for their family vacation, and since Tampa is relatively close to my house, I crashed their party. I met up with them at about 5 pm, and we began Drinkfest 2013. We drank a lot of beer, ate a lot of candy, and later on, my cousin, Kye, and I went in the hot tub and had a nice heart-to-heart. We also stole a fun noodle, a beer coozie, and a plastic wine glass that were left at the pool. Given my history, I'll have to say "sorry, not sorry."



On Sunday, the drinking began after breakfast and continued on the beach, where we all ended up with weird sunburns. We ate dinner, continued drinking, and then watched the end of the tournament on TV. The nice thing about day drinking is that you can be in bed by midnight and not be ashamed. I left yesterday morning and did some projects when I got home. I also went to bed really early because I was exhausted. This weekend was exactly what I needed and I didn't even realize that I needed a getaway like this. Sometimes it takes spending time with family and loved ones to make you realize what you have been missing.

Onto a more serious note: running as therapy. I returned to running this morning and did a slow two miles at 9:22 min/mi because I didn't want to do too much too quickly and irritate my IT band. I really needed to run today because I have had a lot of my mind lately. It has been a long time where I needed to go for a run as therapy, but I think I have a lot more of these runs in my future again. I'm going to be very vague with these details, because I could be over-analyzing a situation that hasn't happened (and may not even happen), but as a planner, it's hard not to think ahead. I have always been one to follow my heart and that has lead me to some amazing places. Even the times where my heart has led me into situations that have left me hurt, I never regretted it because I knew it made me happy at one point and it was exactly what I needed at that point in my life. But when is it time to stop listening to your heart and listen to your head? Can there ever be happiness when logic and the brain take over a situation and the heart is no longer in charge? I'm not sure I have ever listened to my brain over my heart, but I have always heard the voice in my head when it came time to make a decision. My therapy runs allow me to evaluate my thoughts and find (or attempt to find) a balance between my heart and my logic. Right now, I think my heart is ready to use logic and that I would continue to be happy, no matter what. It's hard to think about situations like this with other people, though, becuse their thoughts and logic become muddled in your thoughts, logic, and the voice of your heart. I believe in following my heart, and I think these therapeutic runs will help figure things out and process all of the information and advice being thrown at me by other people.

Let's end on this picture of me that's basically saying... it's time to get a hair cut. Anytime I can put my hair in any type of pony tail, it's too long.


When was a time that you followed your heart and no one understood your decision(s) but you? Do you tend to use logic or impulse more when making decisions? 

If you want more specifics about what I've been reflecting about, feel free to e-mail me! If you want to share a personal story that you think might help me stress less, feel free to e-mail me as well!

I'm going grocery shopping right now, and I have a dinner invention in my brain, so if it works out, be sure to check the blog tomorrow for the recipe!!