Thursday, March 7, 2013

Exciting Life Updates Plus an ENERGYbits Review

Before I get started with my review on ENERGYbits, I wanted to update y'all on a few exciting events in my life! As of Sunday, I have been back running. I did a slow two miles on Sunday, four miles on Monday, 4.5 miles yesterday, and a quick, 2-miles today (lack of time). My IT band has been insanely tight after each run, so I've been BFFs with my foam roller. On Monday, I got some really exciting news. I worked for Sea Turtle Camp, a marine biology camp for high schoolers, in Topsail, NC this past summer and on Monday, they called and offered me a position as an educator on their two-week Costa Rica camp this summer. I accepted, and assuming we get enough campers to sign up, I will be headed to Costa Rica to teach about sea turtles :D I am SO excited. I have been to Costa Rica once before and it was gorgeous. I'd love to go back and use my Spanish and reach out and touch some more lives (fun fact: I'm fluent in Spanish)! I also spoke with Deena from Island Dolphin Care during my visit and we discussed the possibility of me doing some independent contracting and developing a marine science program that may eventually allow them to take me on full-time. If you missed my post yesterday, and if you don't know me (or even if you do), the special needs population is my favorite population and I would love to work at Island Dolphin Care if given the opportunity. Fingers crossed that we can make this possible!

Onto the promised product review! I recently won a sample of ENERGYbits from a contest on Running in Heels and it arrived on the day that I got home from Disney World! I'm not one for using any sort of energy source (caffeine, energy drinks, supplements), so I was excited to try them, but also slightly nervous. Here's what came in my package:

I read some of the information that came with my ENERGYbits sample, so here is a little bit about  the bits themselves from the ENERGYbits website:
"Want more energy, more mental vitality, or a healthy high protein snack you can grab on the go? How about a quick way to boost your athletic performance, supercharge your run or crank up your endurance while working or working out? If so, ENERGYbits® are for you. Made from 100% organicallly grown spirulina algae and loaded with 40 nutrients, ENERGYbits® algae tabs have the highest concentration of protein in the world (64%) all for just one calorie per tab. Endorsed by the United Nations as the most nutritious food on earth, spirulina algae has been a favorite of Olympic gold medalists for decades and is a super food in every sense of the word, delivering instant and enduring energy to your brain and body."


I was slightly hesitant to take them when I read more from the paperwork that said they are an "acquired taste" and I was even more hesitant to take them when I opened my tin and it smelled like fish food. I was afraid I would be left with a weird aftertaste in my mouth when I swallowed the pills, so I made sure to always swallow them with water. Surprisingly, I was left with NO aftertaste and didn't really burp up any tastes after taking them. Plus one for ENERGYbits. The recommended serving size is 20+ (30 is ideal) tabs before any workout, when you're tired, or when you're hungry, but I only took 10-15 at a time because that was the most I could fit in my mouth at one time (insert dirty joke here). One negative thing is that the pills turn your hands green, even after a short amount of time, but this powder typically rubbed off fairly quickly. Plus two for ENERGYbits. I took the pills when I was tired in the morning or before I was doing a workout when I was tired. For example, I took 10 tabs before my afternoon yoga session today, and I perked up almost immediately. Plus three for ENERGYbits. This is one thing that I'd like to test more though, since I was taking only half of the recommended serving size, I'm not 100% convinced that my energy was due entirely to the bits themselves (I'm curious to see if it is a placebo effect or not).

Overall, my experience with ENERGYbits has been pleasant. I'd like to combine some bits into my post-workout smoothie to see if that plays a role in recovery or gives me more energy after a particularly hard workout. I would recommend giving ENERGYbits a shot if you're looking for a natural way to get more energy into your life. Algae is considered to be a food and not a supplement, so there are no chemicals added and the only ingredient is Spirulina. For more information about ENERGYbits, Spirulina, and their products, please visit their website

[All of these opinions are my own, and I have not received compensation from ENERGYbits for this review.]