Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Surprises in Various Mailboxes & Orange Tofu

As I said in yesterday's post, I woke up with a fierce headache yesterday morning. I hadn't been feeling well, but I think I have some sinus issues going on and not a full-blown cold (let's hope). The reason that I think this is because 1) my head was pounding and 2) it hurts my whole head to blow my nose. I didn't want to get out of bed right away yesterday because I didn't feel well, so I slept for another hour and then got up to go for a run, despite having a headache. When I woke up, I saw that I had an e-mail from the Matt Nathanson (my favorite artist in the history of the world) mailing list and he included a link to his new song, before it had even aired! I was ecstatic because it ROCKS (you can hear it/watch the lyric video at the end of this post). I listened to it about 10 times before I got out of bed and I probably listened to it a million more times throughout the rest of the day. Obviously, I know all of the words now. That surprise really set the tone for the rest of my day. Later in the afternoon, I checked my mailbox and saw that I had a package from home! Inside my package was this:

(oops, didn't realize I took the picture of the Spanish side)

Grandma had gotten me this waffle maker for Christmas, but it didn't make it into my two suitcases when I returned to Florida, so mom must have finally decided to send it. If anyone wants to come over for green waffles (in honor of St. Patty's Day) on Sunday, let me know! I can't wait to try a whole bunch of concoctions and to adapt some of the pancake recipes (since I hate pancakes) that I have seen on other blogs! 

I also went grocery shopping yesterday morning and I got the brilliant idea to get crazy in the kitchen and make orange tofu. By crazy in the kitchen, I mean I winged it AND made my own orange marinade. It was SO good. Like, lick the spatula good. I served my mixture over brown rice and wanted to eat the entire pan. Yum!

Orange Tofu

 Marinade
2 small/medium navel oranges
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce

Tofu Mixture
4 oz tofu, cut into pieces
1 bell pepper (any color)
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup eggplant, chopped 
crushed red pepper, to taste

Peel and seed navel oranges and put into food processor. Add crushed red pepper, lime juice, and soy sauce. Blend until liquid. Place tofu, bell pepper, mushrooms, eggplant, and additional red pepper in a ziploc bag. Pour marinade into bag, seal, and marinade for at least 2 hours (I marinaded for 8 hours). Place mixture into a wok (or some other frying pan) and cook until eggplant is tender and the tofu is warm. Serve over brown rice and enjoy!




These pictures just point out to me that I just need to suck it up and join the Instagram train so that I can make my pictures look more appealing. The orange tofu was seriously amazing and you can make it as hot/mild as you would like! As always, check the Pinterest page for easy pinning of this recipe!

And as promised, here's Matt Nathanson's newest single, "Mission Bells":


What is the best recipe you've winged lately? Who is your favorite musical artist?