Monday, April 1, 2013

A Weekend of Recipes and a Not-So-Lazy Sunday

In case you were away this weekend doing lots of fun Easter activities, here's what you missed:

The Downside of Being a Planner

This weekend was full of fun recipes! On Saturday, I attempted a homemade veggie pot pie. I stuffed the pan too full of veggies so my batter overflowed, but it turned out decently and was pretty good! Next time, I think I would add less veggies so that I could add more batter. I also think I might add batter on the bottom, put veggies in the middle, and then cover with more batter. I poured the batter over the top of the veggies, but it didn't seep all the way through like I had hoped, so the top had a nice layer of crust, but the rest was mostly vegetables.


Vegetable Pot Pie

1 Cup Jiffy Baking Mix
3 eggs
1 cup soy milk 
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups assorted fresh vegetables, chopped (I used asparagus, broccoli, carrots, onions, and yellow squash) 
salt and pepper, to taste

Chop vegetables into bite size pieces and add to a bowl. Mix with the can of cream of mushroom soup. Empty the contents into a greased pie tin. In a separate  bowl, mix 3 eggs, 1 cup soy milk, and 1 cup Jiffy Mix until blended. Pour over the vegetables in the pie tin. Bake at 400* for 45-55 minutes (I did closer to an hour). Let cool 10-15 minutes and enjoy!

I served mine with baked sweet potatoes and a salad. I topped my sweet potato with a cinnamon Laughing Cow cream cheese wedge and it was SO good! I served it to a friend who is a HUGE meat eater, and he told me he liked it! I think I would add a little more salt, but salt is my vice. 

Since my blog has been lacking a little in the humor department lately, I decided to share a ridiculously clumsy moment I had last night. To make it easier for you to visualize, here is a partial layout of my house:
 
See that little light switch above the couch? I had turned it off, but realized I had forgotten my phone on the couch and I wanted to charge it. Instead of turning on the light, I just walked into the living room, got my phone, and headed towards the stairs. Here, I misjudged the distance between the couch and the stairway, caught the corner of the couch, and ATE it. I hit that little patch between the couch and the stairs so hard that I'm surprised I'm not severely bruised and that the neighbors didn't come over to make sure I was okay. I'm fine today, I laughed after it happened, and got up and went to bed. My life.

This morning was a little happier, as I got up and finally got to open my Easter basket! The Easter bunny brought it a little early and it's been taunting me since Thursday, so today I got to dig in!

I made out like a bandit! I got some sixlets, smarties, and jelly beans (gelatin free, too!), a Little Mermaid bath mitt, a Little Mermaid lanyard for my Annual Pass at WDW, some chocolate covered Oreos, a new shirt, and some bright leggings. Thanks, EB! 

After I opened my Easter Basket, I assembled the lasagna for the dinner party I hosted last night! I then went on a run, cleaned my house, baked cupcakes, frosted cupcakes, showered, took a nap, and got ready for company. Sundays are usually my day where I do absolutely NOTHING, so this was an incredibly busy Sunday. I'm a little bummed that it was too busy for me to bask in the sunshine because yesterday was GORGEOUS. 

Vegetarian Slow-Cooker Lasagna
1/2 package oven-ready lasagna noodles,
1/2 container ricotta cheese
1 jar pasta sauce 
1 bag baby spinach
1 yellow squash (or zucchini), shredded
1/2 white onion
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
4 Campiari tomatoes, diced

Cover the bottom of the crockpot with pasta sauce. Break noodles in half and cover the bottom with a single layer. Spread ricotta cheese over each noodle. Add a thin layer of shredded yellow squash to each noodle. Add a layer of onion to the noodle. Add spinach to each noodle. Cover with both cheeses. Top with sauce and tomato dices for garnish. Repeat until you reach the top of the slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup of water to the empty sauce jar and dump the saucy water over the noodle layers. Top with more cheese and diced tomatoes for garnish. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8. 

Our meal consisted of a salad, garlic bread, sweet tea, and margaritas. The person who was in charge of salad and garlic bread didn't show up, so I whipped up a quick salad and spread some garlic butter into some crescent rolls and saved the day ;) Here's the rest of our Easter evening in a few pictures!
 Present from MQD: "Can't celebrate His death without celebrating His birth!"
 Minus Gi, who was taking the photo
<3

I also think that I am back in the running game officially! I haven't done a run over six miles since the Disney Princess Half, but today I did 4 miles at a slow 9:30 min/mi and felt great! Hopefully I can get at least six miles in this weekend and then be back to normal next week! Thank you everyone who sent me strength exercises, stretching tips, and good vibes! My next "running related" question is: Who sells the best headbands? My hair is ridiculously thick and it's short, so headbands slide off and I'm in need of one now that it is getting warmer out and I don't want to deal with my bangs sticking to my forehead (gross). Please let me know who has the best value/headband/anything! 

How was your Easter? Did you spend it with family? What did you eat?!