Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston

This morning, I was complaining to a classmate because we had to have a meeting with our professor and he was running late, so I was missing some of the elite race. When I got home, I finished watching the race while I ate my lunch, got updated on Twitter about who had finished or who was close to finishing, then I took a nap. When I got up, I checked Twitter again and saw this first tweet from Runner's World:


I was floored. I immediately retweeted it, checked on Facebook, googled the story, and came up with nothing. Then, my Twitter feed started filling with news of the explosions. There was so much confusion on my Twitter feed and when I turned on the news, it was evident that the confusion was felt everywhere.

As a runner, my heart is absolutely broken for those affected by the explosions. As a human being, I am appalled, sick about this, and incredibly emotional. I feel as though my friends and family, all of whom I do not personally know, have been attacked. It was incredible to observe how deeply the running community is affected by this. It is personal. I tried to explain to my mother, a non-runner, about how I was feeling, but I couldn't find the right words. Running has helped me forge bonds with individuals I have never met, and my heart is absolutely broken.

If you hear of any virtual races or nation-wide charity runs, please keep me in the know. Tomorrow morning, I will run music free and GPS-free to celebrate the fact that I can run and to show my support for those who were affected by today's horrible events. Please keep Boston in your thoughts and prayers.

If you have access to a race t-shirt, I have seen some groups advertising that they are going to wear race t-shirts as a sign of solidarity for the marathoners and the spectators. I will be joining them, and I hope you will be too.