Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Grocery Shopping: Vegetarian Style

I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but I figured I would share with you guys what a typical grocery shopping trip looks like for me. For those of you who are interested in going vegetarian or who are looking to have at least one vegetarian meal a week, I hope this gives you some more ideas!

I go grocery shopping once every 2 weeks (give or take). It depends on how long my produce lasts, since that's the bulk of my diet (obviously). Here's what a two-week haul usually looks like:


  • 1 bag of spinach (I bought spinach and kale this week)
  • 1 bag of baby cut carrots
  • At least two different types of fruit (typically strawberries and bananas. This week it was strawberries, bananas, blueberries, and mangoes)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 container of Campari tomatoes
  • Cheese
  • 1 container of plain Chobani Greek yogurt (only brand that I buy)
  • 1 container of cottage cheese (maybe more if it's on sale)
  • 1 container of ice cream
  • 1 container of Light Chocolate soy milk (I will buy coconut milk if I can)
  • 2 green peppers
  • 2 cucumbers
  • Yellow squash or zucchini
  • Another random vegetable (this week it was brussels sprouts and eggplant)
  • 1 package of Brookside's Chocolate Covered Pomegranate 
I've stopped buying pasta/cereals for the most part, but that's not to say that I don't eat any processed foods or anything like that. I try and fuel my body with good foods, but that's not to say I don't indulge!

Per Karen @ Runner Girl Eat 's Recommendation, I purchased this ice cream this week:

It's amazing.

On some grocery trips (usually about every month or two), I purchase different "treats":


  • Bread product 
  • Chips (this month it was pita chips/tortilla chips)
  • Guacamole (pre-made, usually I make my own)
  • Frozen mangoes
  • Frozen pizzas
It usually takes me a really long time to go through bread/bread products because I don't eat too many sandwiches. I usually cook a large meal for dinner and then eat leftovers for lunch during the week. For breakfast, I usually have oatmeal, a yogurt parfait, or a smoothie, so I don't eat toast/bagels too much for breakfast. That being said, I buy it just in case I want it and store it in the fridge. It lasts longer that way!  This week, I've been craving pita chips to dip in my hummus and tortilla chips for guacamole and salsa :D Maybe I'll make nachos too!

That being said, expect some more recipes on the blog soon! Make sure you're checking the Pinterest page if you are looking for new things to try!

To tide us over until I get some really good ones, here's a super easy recipe I made last night:

Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts over Yellow Squash "Pasta"

1 yellow squash
1/4 tbsp butter
1 cup spinach
6 brussels sprouts
1 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup pasta sauce
salt and pepper, to taste

Peel yellow squash (top left) and add to a pain with the butter and spinach. Sauté until soft, but do not overcook. Heat oven to 350*. Cut brussels sprouts in half and toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with 1/4 tbsp of parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Plate sauteed squash and spinach on a plate, cover with cooked brussels sprouts, and top with sauce and remaining parmesan cheese. Enjoy! This recipe serves one person, so adjust accordingly. 

What are some of your staples from the grocery store? What are some things you only buy once or twice a month?
I cannot leave the grocery store without buying spinach or cottage cheese.

(I apologize for the weird formatting of this post. For some reason, my pictures were not cooperating and were messing everything up)