Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Nine Goals

Yesterday, I came across this challenge that Cori from OliveToRun shared and I think it would be fun to share the love with you guys and share my own goals for these next nine months! From Cori's blog:


" Chobani 10 for 10 challenge.
10for10
Have you heard about this?
If so, WHY DID YOU NOT tell me on March 1st?
I read it on another blogger’s post this past weekend
and thought to myself: I HAVE to do this!
The Details:
“In a nut shell: we’ll set one attainable goal each month. These goals can be totally simple, or larger, fitness/lifestyle/growth goals. Join us and set whatever works for you! Different strokes for different CHOlks.”
We all know that I am a planner, so this is right up my alley! Some of them are fitness related, and some of them are life related. I'm joining Cori's adaptation of this challenge by doing "9 for 9 months"
Goal #1: April. Listen to my body's hunger signals instead of following a strict eating schedule. 
Right now, I basically follow a schedule when I'm eating. I wake up, run, eat breakfast, then two hours later I eat a snack, two hours later I eat lunch, etc., until bed time. The last few days, however, I've been HUNGRY. Not "hungry" like I want to eat all the time just because, but hungry with a grumbly tummy. So, I've been eating when my body tells me to, and it's working out really well so far :D 
Goal #2: May. Do not weigh myself for the entire month of May. 
We live in a society where we are controlled by the number on the scale. I would by lying if I said that I wasn't affected some days by the number on the scale. So, for the month of May (and hopefully longer), I will not weigh myself. It's going to be tough, but I think it's doable!
Goal #3. June. Volunteer more.
I am a trained volunteer at the Barrier Island Center here in Melbourne, FL, but I have neglected my duties during this school year. I would love to get more involved and spread environmental education, so this summer should allow me more time to do that! I also hope to spend some more time at Island Dolphin Care working on developing programs and playing with all of the kids and veterans who come to visit!

Goal #4. July. Try at least one new thing every week.
July is my birth month (I was born on the 31st), so why not spend my birth month trying new things? It's also the month that I'm going to Costa Rica, so this goal will be perfect for this month! New things can include: new workouts, foods, clothing styles, restaurants, etc.
Goal #5. August. Spend more time getting in touch with the people I love.
Since I live in FL and the majority of my family and friends live in the Midwest, I'm going to make sure I spend more time reaching out to them. I'm hoping to step away from the texting and e-mails and spend more time communicating via phone or letters. 

Goal #6. September. Spend more time outside.
I love the outdoors, but with school and work, it's hard to get as much time outside as I'd like. I spend my runs outside, but I would like to spend more time outdoors (and not just at the beach!) I hope to visit more parks and take more walks outside just enjoying nature and the world around me. It'll be nice to unplug from technology for just a little bit.

Goal #7. October. Eat less sweets.
This is going to be a difficult goal, as it's Halloween month AND my best friend is getting married this month, but they don't call it a challenge for nothing, right? I'm going to try and make "healthier" dessert choices OR limit a dessert to once a week. Let's see how this works out. 

Goal #8. November. Say more meaningful "Thank you"s.
I say thank you, and am genuinely thankful, for a number of things in my life. However, there are areas of my life where I do not say thank you enough. This involves thanking my friends, my parents, my family, my teachers, my bosses, everyone who has a positive impact on me in my daily life who goes without being thanked. November is the perfect month for this, with Thanksgiving and all ;)
Goal #9. December. Stress less
December will bring the end of the semester, Christmas, family time, trips home, aka lots of stress. I'm going to do my best to manage my time wisely so that I don't get stressed and not stress the small stuff. This will not only make me a happier person, but it will also make everyone around me happier as well!

What are your goals for the remaining 9 months? Will you help me stick to my goals?