Monday, April 8, 2013

When Does Fitness Become More Than a Seasonal Fix?

Good morning, loves! Today was the first day of Brooke's Beach Body Challenge, so I started out my morning with a 4 mile run and then did the first day of her challenge! I was only able to get through a quarter of the deck of cards because I was tired from the cardio and my belly was grumbling, but it was super tough! I'm excited for the rest of this challenge!

Even though I'm participating in this challenge, it has really got me thinking about fitness and seasonality. Now that summer is around the corner, I see a lot of my friends who are either A. Not active or B. Used to be active, returning to the gym and the streets to get into shape. This raises a question for me: When does fitness become about being healthy all year round and stop being about getting in shape for a particular season? I would be a hypocrite if I said I didn't want to improve my fitness and get into even better shape for the summer (hence why I'm participating in a beach body challenge), but that's also because it's in my personality to never settle and always work to improve myself/my situation. Fitness is only a competition with yourself, so why not compete all year round?

[FitFluential Facebook Image]
Weddings, summer, graduation, high school reunions -- these are all common and great reasons to get in shape. However, they're only seasonal. Why put in all of that hard work to look your best for a short period of time and then just let it all go? I'd be lying if I said I didn't get unmotivated and that there are some days when I do not want to do any sort of activity, but I realize that I've worked hard to get to where I'm at and that I'd be so disappointed in myself if I just let myself go and stopped trying to be the best me. It takes 21 days to make a habit -- if you're going to put in that time and effort to create a new habit, there's no reason to end your new habit, especially when you've built up enough confidence to rock that bikini or that new dress!

To me, fitness is about being happy, healthy and confident in my own skin. It's not about being "too thin" or "exercising a lot," it's about enjoying life and living for me. I'm taking care of myself so that I can better take care of my future husband and children. I'm taking care of myself so that I can be a better friend. I'm taking care of myself so that I can serve as a positive role model to someone else, even if it's not fitness related. Fitness is about having the courage to move outside of your comfort zone, lose your inhibitions, and ignoring other people's opinions of you. My mom told me that someone mentioned to her yesterday that I am getting "too thin." My mom's response was "I know she's eating, I know she enjoys food, and I know she works out a lot." This coming from my mom means a lot to me, because she used to worry about me when I lost 30 pounds. The funny thing about me becoming "too thin" is that I am actually back at the weight I was just before the break-up. I had lost 10 pounds in the month after the breakup, but I am back at where I was before. I might have a little more muscle, but I weigh the same, if not a few pounds more, than I did when many of the people who make these comments have last seen me. And you know what? I don't care. I'm happy, I'm healthy, I'm changing my fitness goals, and I'm working on being the best me.


What does fitness mean to you?
--I'd love to hear your opinion/input, so please comment, message the Facebook page, or e-mail me at miller.rachel731@gmail.com! I'd love to do a follow-up post with all of your input, so please don't be shy!

Happy Monday!