Thursday, May 9, 2013

Does Yoga Count as Strength Training AND Cross Training?

First of all, my Why I'm Single and Will Be #ForeverAlone post was a bigger hit than I could have anticipated. You guys rock, and I'm glad I could make you laugh! I'm sure a lot of people clicked on it because they thought it was a "woe is me" post, but it's not at all! I'm so glad that a lot of you single chicks out there had those same thoughts ;) If you follow me on Twitter, I'm sure you will probably find more reasons why I'm going to be forever alone..because I am a mess.

On to the reason for today's post. Yesterday, I woke up with tight hamstrings from a couple hard runs this week, so I decided to do some yoga instead. My hamstrings, particularly my right hamstrings, are notoriously tight (so tight that they frequently pull my right knee cap out of place) and stretching, while I do it after every run, is something I desperately need to work on. I searched YouTube for Yoga for Runners and came upon this:


Besides the woman's voice, this 20 minute video (link to video if it's not working) is AWESOME! So awesome that I did it twice. Yes, I did it twice. I always underestimate how tight my hips are, but this video targeted my tight zones and it hurt so good.

That brings me to today's question. Is yoga a "double-dipper"? Does it count as both strength and cross-training? My answer to this question is "yes." While there were some times that I felt like this :


The rest of the time, I felt strong. I also got really sweaty, which to me indicates that yoga is also cross-training. I used to do yoga all the time before I started running, and I think I need to add more of it back into my routine, because I am sore today. Arms, legs, hips, everything, sore. But it hurts so good.

Do you have any workouts that you think are double dippers?