Monday, May 13, 2013

Food Obsession and Social Media

Last week, I wrote a post about Healthy Living and Social Media because I was interviewed by a college friend about it. Basically, the consensus I got from readers is that social media helped them to become more involved in their healthy lifestyle, find a community, and holds them accountable to maintaining their healthy lifestyle, all of which I agree with. This weekend, I came across an article discussing Instagram and Food Obsession. One of the quotes from the article stated:


The last sentence about the "unhealthy obsession with food" piqued my interest. If you follow me on Instagram, chances are you have been subjected to photos of my breakfasts or dinners (lunch is generally pretty boring). That being said, I don't think I have an unhealthy obsession with food. I do believe, however, that food is very important and it is a big part of my life. I love to cook and I always have snacks with me because I love to eat and am hungry often. It's a running joke in my grad program that I have a tapeworm because I'm always snacking before class and hangry by the time class is over because it's dinner time. I believe that food is a way to bring people together and it is how I express my feelings for those I truly care for and those who are good to me. I wish I could pay all of my bills with food; in fact, I bring the bartenders various baked goods throughout the year to show them my appreciation (that might be weird, but they love it). I think that food makes the world a better place and that everyone in the world would be happier if someone just surprised them with a plate of food one day. Now, I read a lot of HLB's that are written by young women who have overcome eating disorders and it's no joke. Yes, I have some food aversions (marshmallows, jello, eggs, it's all about texture) and there are some things I won't eat (AKA being a vegetarian eliminates an entire food group), but I don't find myself meal-planning or restricting things from my diet. Yes, I like to be in control of my kitchen, but it's because I love to cook and I love sharing that with others. Does gaining weight and calories come into my mind? Yes, of course. I think that is part of being a young woman in modern America. I think that also comes with losing 35 pounds (healthily) and wanting to keep it off. I love spinach, Greek yogurt, and oatmeal, but I also love ice cream, chocolate, and beer. I think my love of food is a healthy balance, not an unhealthy obsession.

The article goes on to say:


You can read the article here. The fact that the article does not link to the original study and a Google search did not quickly turn up the study, I'm a little hesitant to believe this article. But, I do think it is interesting and raises some good points! However, what does it say about constant pictures of exercise equipment or post-workout photos? Does that indicate exercise obsession?

I figured it would only be appropriate (and mildly humorous) to include photos of Instagrammed food:

How could you not be obsessed with food when it looks like this?

What are your thoughts about social media and food obsession? Do you find yourself thinking about food a lot as a healthy living blogger, or even as a person who lives a healthy lifestyle?