Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I Got Weird in the Kitchen

I know what you're thinking...when am I not weird? That's probably part of the reason why I'm single, but it's probably also the reason why my life is a sitcom and other weirdos are attracted to me. That's not the topic of today's post, however. The topics of today's post is meatloaf.


Just kidding about that meatloaf. But seriously, meatloaf. I used to HATE eating meatloaf as a kid because eating meat in a loaf shape never sounded appealing. To be honest, it still doesn't. For some reason last night though, I made a "meat"loaf. It's actually a chickpea and lentil loaf, but you get the point. 

Chickpea and Lentil Loaf

1 cup lentils, cooked (1/2 cup dry)
1 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tbsp chopped fennel (I used dry)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp BBQ sauce
1/4 cup bread crumbs, any flavor
salt and pepper to taste

Combine 1 cup lentils 1 cup chickpeas, fennel, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a food processor until combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add chopped onions, mushrooms, and breadcrumbs to the bowl. Mix until combined. Transfer to a loaf pan and top with BBQ sauce. Cook in a 350* oven for 30 minutes. Enjoy! 

I served mine with a side of oven-roasted parmesan asparagus. This loaf should serve 4-6 people, depending on how large the slices are. I'm surprised that it was not crumbly and it was actually pretty tasty. Foods in a loaf won't become an everyday thing for me, but I would definitely make this again! 

What foods just don't sound appealing to you, but you like them anyway?