Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I Need a Personal Trainer..or a Coach

I am not strong, physically. Mentally and emotionally, yes, I am incredibly strong. I've sent out a plea before for an athletic trainer, and I'm sending it out again. Physically, besides my legs (and most of my core), I am not strong. To me, lifting heavy is 10 pound dumbbells. I know I've said before that I wanted to do more strength training, and I have gotten better, I am definitely not where I want to be. This is me, currently:


I also want to get faster, but I haven't really done much speed work. I've done speed work on the treadmill MAYBE two or three times in the last few weeks. Definitely not enough. Although I am loving this speed workout from OliveToRun! It's tough, and I was only able to complete the 8.0 circuit once because I thought I was going to vomit. That shows you that I am not fast and have a lot of improvements to make.

That being said, I spent part of the morning creating a workout schedule for me to hopefully get better about incorporating speed work and strength training into my workout. We all know that I will do my runs, but I figure that putting the runs and the strength workouts down on paper will help me stick to it. It definitely held me accountable for training for the Princess Half. Here's what I came up with:


That's a lot of words on one little pictures. Basically, I'm going to try and be running 15-20 miles per week and doing mainly bodyweight exercises, except on Friday and Saturday when I HOPE to be in the gym and I have access to weights. Arms and Abs get two days a week because they are the areas where I am LEAST satisfied on my body (they're not terrible, but definitely need the most work). I'm hoping that once the school gym opens up this summer I can take some classes (hopefully in addition to these workouts). Obviously, this schedule is flexible because I'm not training for anything right now, but I'm hoping that adding a little strength and speed work will be enough to get me motivated to add more to my routine.

What would you add/remove from the schedule above?
---I am genuinely interested in this response because I am a newbie at both strength training and speed work and this is what I came up with. If you can help, please do!
Runners, do you do strength training/speed work? How long before you graduated to new exercises/higher weights?