Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Noodle Arms

The workout schedule I created for myself last week has already been changed. Instead of doing just arms on Monday (in addition to my 4 mile run), I did 3ish miles in the morning, where it felt like I was swimming in the humidity, a 1.5 (mile and a half, not 15, thanks Beth for pointing this out!) mile run on the treadmill, and a total body weight lifting class. Yes, I went to a weight lifting class.


Yes, really. And another shocking thing? I LOVED it! It was at my university's gym and I thought I was going to be the only one in the class and that the male instructors would feel weird working with me. I approached the instructor and asked if the class was still going on and he told me yes and to hop onto a treadmill and do a 5 minute warmup. Apparently to me, warmup means "run at your regular pace or faster" because I was running at an 8:30 pace (on the faster side for me) and was sweaty by the time we started class. No one else had this issue. Ps. There were two other girls there besides me and only one boy.

We started with the machine and did our upper body workout. As the reps decreased and the weight increased, this is what I thought:


By the time we got to our last set of reps, my arms felt like noodles. I was struggling, big time. I tried to pick up my water bottle to drink some after we finished and I may have spilled on my shirt. I also couldn't lift it high enough to my mouth. Oops.

Afterwards we did stairs, and I felt like I was killing it. I'm going to thank my half-marathoning legs for helping me get through this, because I wasn't even really too sore on Tuesday after the workout, either. That being said, the trainers told us they were taking it easy on us yesterday because it was our first day, so I might eat those words after class tonight. I'll keep you updated. Yes, I'm going back tonight.


After we finished stairs, we did abs. Abs were challenging, but I was a shining star at the end of the workout with the plank. I had really great form (thanks for the compliment, trainers) and was not sweating it after reaching the one minute limit the trainers had set for us. I'm sore in the lower abs region, which is a good sign! Again, I think I can thank running for this.

My arms were killing me all Tuesday and I couldn't wash my hair after class on Monday. It took a lot of effort, but I did it. I'm excited to go back and hopefully make this class a regular in my schedule! I'm going to wait and see if I need to add in more leg work into my schedule I made since I was feeling good after class on Monday, but I'll know more after tonight.

As I was leaving the parking lot, two men walked past me and said "hey sweaty girl, looking good!" I don't think they realized that women don't like being objectified during/after workouts.

Ps. Can you tell that GIFs are like my new favorite things? They're hilarious and put everything I am feeling into a little animated picture for you to enjoy, since I don't know how to do that of myself ;)

Pps. If you follow me on Twitter, you might want to unfollow me Friday-Tuesday because I'm going to have a silly weekend and my might just watch my life fall apart virtually. I don't plan on being a good role model this weekend. That being said, if you want to watch it all happen, it'll be hilarious and I encourage you do to so.

Ppps. I have a guest post coming up soon (EEK! Exciting!), some product reviews, and a giveaway coming up in the near future. Stay tuned!

Happy Wednesday! 

Do you like GIFs? Have you ever taken a fitness class that you were afraid to take and found out that you really enjoyed it?