Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday Food Prep

Usually, I am a bump on a log on Sundays, but since I was incredibly lazy on Saturday and didn't do any speed work or running, I had to get it done yesterday. I had no intention of being productive other than completing a workout. I did Cori's treadmill circuit in the morning, came home, prepped for the beach, and walked out the door, only to be greeted by rain at the end of the block. I stopped at Target on the way back home to pick up an end table because I saw these beautiful orchids at Sam's Club when I was there on Saturday and decided that I wanted to buy one and put it in my living room. I'm attempting to keep this beauty alive:

Wish me luck. It was also not that sunny in my house and was raining at the time I took this picture. Florida fooled you with that sunshine, right?

I foam rolled my legs because my IT band was really tight, but it's been tight mostly in my butt area the last few days. I try foam rolling my glutes, but does anyone have any tips for targeting this area? 

After I took a nap, I decided to do some Sunday Food Prep and participate in the Lean Green Bean Blog's Sunday Food Prep. It was actually pretty fun and I prepped some things I know I'll be using a lot this week. 
Top left: Jalapeño and Garlic chickpea and lentil burgers 
Top Right: Chopped veggies
Bottom Left: Chopped pineapple
Middle bottom: Black beans (dry, soaked and cooked)
Bottom right: Brown rice

Jalapeño and Garlic Chickpea and Lentil Burgers 

1 cup lentils, cooked
1 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup chopped onions
Jalapeño and Garlic spice blend
1/4 cup breadcrumbs 
Olive oil for mixing
Salt to taste


Add lentils, chickpeas, onions, spice blend, breadcrumbs, salt, and olive oil to food processor. Process until lentils and chickpeas begin to combine. Add more olive oil if necessary. Blend until all are combined. Portion into 4 burgers and freeze (if not eating right away).

Because I do not use eggs to keep the burgers together, they are flimsier than most veggie burgers you would purchase at the store. It would probably be best to cook these up on the stove in a frying pan or cook on the grill in a foil packet. Basically, do what you can to make sure the burger doesn't fall apart on the grill!

Also, my sister just got accepted into her first ever art exhibit, so a couple of her photographs will be on display! If you are in the Chicago area, visit the Beverly Art Center from June 1-30 to see her pictures! If you can't go and would like to see her photos, I will see if I can get permission from her to share on the blog! Feel free to wish her congratulations in the comments, please :D 

How was your Sunday? Do you ever do Sunday food prep?