Monday, June 10, 2013

MyOatmeal.com: Dirty Banana Review

I had the opportunity to try another healthy oatmeal blend for Undercover Diva: A Sitcom, so I'm writing another oatmeal review for you guys!

In my review of my custom blend, I mentioned that I also received a house blend of oatmeal as well. The reason for this was that Anthony (MyOatmeal.com's Founder) saw that I had chosen cookie dough as my oatmeal blend and he said that it wasn't his favorite flavor, so he would send me my custom blend AND a house blend so that I could get a real taste (see what I did there?) of MyOatmeal.com. I received the Dirty Banana blend as my house blend sample. Dirty Banana consisted of dried bananas, cranberries, Smash blend oats, Banana bread flavor, Butter Rum flavor, Brown Sugar, and Stevia.


You can't tell from here, but the bag was smaller (height wise) than my custom blend. From their website, however, it looks like this blend is usually sold in 2.5 lb bags, so mine was just a sample size for review for the blog! Don't think that Anthony and the others over at MyOatmeal.com skimped on the oatmeal, though. The bag was filled almost to the resealable zipper of the bag. I was pleasantly surprised, especially since bags of chips and other items that come in bags always have a TON of air inside the package. There was very little room for air in this bag.


I first tried the Dirty Banana blend as regular oatmeal. The cooking process of this oatmeal blend was much more labor intensive than I am used to (in the microwave), but it was worth every bite. The first thing I noticed was that this blend was much more flavorful than the blend that I had created. I was afraid that I wouldn't like the dried banana chips or cranberries, but I thought they tasted great and heated up nicely. The banana flavor was very prominent, but it was not overpowering. If you love putting bananas in your oatmeal in the morning, I strongly recommend this blend.

Left: After sitting in heated water for 5 minutes Right: Finished product

I didn't top my oatmeal with anything (which is strange for me) the first time I ate it, but honestly, I don't think I needed anything. It was that good. I tried it as overnight oats, as well, and I mixed the Dirty Banana blend with PB Lean (review coming soon) and coconut milk. It was amazing! I was afraid the banana chips and dried cranberries wouldn't receive the right texture through overnight oats, but I was proven wrong (again). The texture was great, and the little hint of peanut butter from the PB Lean was perfect because I love the combination of peanut butter and bananas.

Left: Dirty Banana Blend and PB Lean before mixing Top Right: Mix with coconut milk before refrigeration Bottom Right: After refrigeration in the morning

I definitely recommend purchasing a house blend from MyOatmeal.com if you cannot decide what you want on your own. There are multiple house blends on the website, so pick what suits you!

Remember also, MyOatmeal.com is donating 1 lb of oatmeal to the victims of the OK Tornadoes for every pound sold, so if that's not a great reason to buy, I don't know what is!

Disclaimer: While I received these products using a discount code I received from MyOatmeal.com, I received no compensation for this post and all opinions expressed are my own.