Friday, June 14, 2013

New Running Badge of Honor: Vomit on the Road

I have been very inconsistent with my running mileage the last couple weeks (maybe even months), so since I missed my long run last week due to Tropical Storm Andrea, I was determined to do a long run yesterday. When I woke up, I was hungry, so I ate a chocolate coconut Luna bar. I don't usually eat before my runs, or if I do it's a scoop of peanut butter, but yesterday morning I was really hungry, so I figured I would try a protein bar to hold me over until I finished my run.

I drove to the spot where I do my long runs (my neighborhood is too small), and by the time I got there at 630 am, it was already 80* outside. I got started and my legs were really heavy. I was definitely feeling the 4 days in a row that I had run, and my time showed it.

That's a full 2 minutes slower than my regular, long-run pace

I always start out with a giant hill so that I can practice running it on fresh legs and then finish with it when my legs are tired, but I crawled to the top. My legs shook out about mile 3 and I started feeling good as I was making my way back to my car. I had been drinking water along the way, but at mile 4 I started coughing, because I'm still battling my chest infection, and it happened: I vomited on the side of the road, right in front of a business. I looked around and then kept going. I'm guessing it was a combination of the heat, the protein bar, and the coughing fit, but it was not pretty. It was also the first time that I vomited on the side of the road during a run, so I earned me a new badge of honor.

Once I got back to my car, this is all that I felt like doing:


I was spent. I was sore. I had bad breath. But, I was happy that I finished it. Even though it was a terrible run, you have to push through the bad to get to the good. I'm 98% positive that this was the worst run of my life, so I'm giving my legs a break today and trying to decide if I am going to do an entire rest day or only do upper body strength. My legs definitely deserve a medal for getting me through that tough run.

What do you do when you have a tough run? Have you ever thrown-up during a workout?