Monday, July 1, 2013

Back on the Wagon: Weekend Recap

Hi guys! Sorry I've been MIA these past few days! I spent Wednesday until Saturday morning in Key Largo at Island Dolphin Care and then yesterday afternoon/evening was spent partying WAY too hard at a friend's BBQ. I've missed reading all of your blogs and interacting with you, but I should be back to normal routine now!

I got to Island Dolphin Care on Wednesday afternoon and was surprised when I had the opportunity to watch a surgery be performed on one of the dolphins from their sister company. I watched the surgery live in a room next to the operating room, but man was it awesome! It took about two hours, and the dolphin appears to be doing well! Keep your fingers crossed that recovery progresses as hoped!!

On Thursday, I was at Island Dolphin Care at 6:30 to collect my critters from the touch tank and hit the road to Miami to teach at an elementary school. Since I had to be at work so early, I didn't get to get a run in. However, I started my day with this beautiful image, so I can't complain:

Dolphin jumping in the sunrise

We got to the elementary school at about 8:30 and my first program started at nine. I taught 10 programs in 5 hours, and boy was I exhausted! I was teaching outside, so it was incredibly humid. The weather was also really stormy, so there were times where I had to rush through parts of the program to make sure that the kids didn't get rained on. The kids seemed to have a great time and I really love teaching, so I am so thankful to have opportunities like this. After I got home from teaching, I took a quick nap and headed out to meet a coworker from last summer who happens to live in Key Largo now. While we were out, this guy bought me a few beers. No lie, I met him.


He's just as weird in person. 

Friday was spent doing errands around IDC, helping with sessions, and celebrating G's birthday. It was a night out that was so wonderful and so much fun. I crashed a bachelor party, mooched free booze, and shared lots of laughs with some of the people I love. I am so hopeful that my grad school project works out and that I can work for IDC in a year and spend every day like I spent Friday. That place is truly an island of happiness.

I got up early on Saturday and made it back to Melbourne by 10:30, headed to the grocery store, assembled my veggie kabobs, and headed to a BBQ. The veggie kebabs were gorgeous and were a huge hit with all of the non-vegetarians as well!


I used grape tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, zucchini, and red onion to assemble the skewers, seasoned with Thai Coconut rub, drizzled olive oil on the top, and grilled them for about 15 minutes. They were amazing. Apparently, though, you're supposed to soak the skewers in water to stop them from charring. Oops. You live, you learn. The rest of the day was spent drinking booze, swimming in a lake (which I hated, but had to fetch the wiffle balls because I was the only female wearing a bathing suit during the game), and spending a lot of time with really good friends. One of my co-workers from last summer was on his way to the Keys, so he stopped by for the night and met all of my friends. It was so good to have him visit! I definitely missed him. I also got way, way, way too drunk and was fighting it all day on Sunday. That's what happens when you start drinking at 12:30 am and don't stop until 9 pm.

These last few days were filled with a lot of joy and a lot of indulgence, but this week I am getting back on the wagon. Running in the morning, weights in the evening (today at least), and regular runs for the rest of the week. I got a new set of fuel to taste test, so I can't wait to try it out on the long run this week! I am definitely feeling all of the bad choices and I cannot wait to get back into my routine. I'm going to do my best to stay on track this week, even with the holiday on Thursday.

How was your weekend? Did you go to any BBQs?