Tuesday, August 13, 2013

(Almost) Negative Splits

I'm typing this from my phone, so if its all whackadoodle when you see it, blame Apple :)

This morning, I had one of those runs that reminded me why I love running. This morning, I also ran mainly negative splits. 


During that second mile, I was really afraid of getting hit by the cars that refused to slow down and I ran cautiously, so I think that explains that funky split there. 

This isn't the first time I have run negative splits without trying. This is probably the first time, though, that I ran positive splits that made me feel good about my 5k time in September. I know some of my readers probably think those times are slow, but for me, they're great! I didn't feel like I was pushing myself too hard, either. That's the kicker :) 

When I first started running a few years ago, I was running 12-15 minute miles and running positive splits. While I have been running miles in the 9 minute time frame within the last year, it wasn't until recently that I was getting a mile in the 8 minute range and I honestly can't remember a day (other than today), where I got two negative splits in a row, both in the 8 minute frame. 

I've never run a 5k race before (my first race was a half marathon), so I am super hopeful for a good time when race time comes in September. Lets hope the odds are (ever) in my favor! 

I'm off to enjoy some Carolina beach time (I'm in North Carolina for a special event -- more to come on that next week!) enjoy your Tuesday!!