Friday, September 20, 2013

A Bittersweet Milestone and a Celebration of Me

Today is a bittersweet day for me. Today marks one year since he left. I didn't cry on the day he left; I was numb. Today, I am proud to say that I have come a really long way. Surprisingly, I am not sad today. If you would have asked me a year ago, I never would have thought that I would have made it this far. I never would have thought that I would be where I am today.

Yes, I do get sad sometimes when I think about it (I actually teared up a little writing this post), but it has been a major life lesson. I know he reads my blog and I know he regrets his decision, but I would do it all over again. So instead of being sad at all today, I'm going to take today to celebrate me. I want to celebrate all of the things I have done in the past year. I have traveled all over Florida, to Costa Rica, North Carolina and home. I started a blog. I made new friends. I ran a half marathon. I rocked my first year of grad school. I kissed a handful of frogs (not literally). I dated a new guy I really liked, but things didn't work out. But most of all, I've discovered more things about myself and have become the best version of me I ever have been.


Without this heartbreak, I never would have taken the time to reflect on what I really want in life. I don't think I would have taken as many risks as I have. I don't think that Florida would have really become my home. I don't think that I would have realized how fabulous I truly am and just live life to the fullest. If he had stayed, my school life would have been different. I don't think I would have the same friend group that I do. I don't think my life would be as bright as it is now. That's not to say he didn't bring joy to my life; he did, we spent three years together. That just means that a part of me was not allowed to grow and I just didn't know it at the time. I credit him for helping me develop as a young woman when we were together and I thank him for letting me go.


Today I plan on celebrating me. I plan on celebrating all the progress I have made the last year. I'm going to spend the day doing all of the things I love to do. I plan on spending time outside, going shopping, eating froyo, and going out with my best friends. I plan on dancing like no one's watching, enjoying my beers, and just being myself. I hope that you guys will participate in this virtual celebration, too! I'm so thankful for everyone I've connected with through blogging and I hope you'll go out for froyo and beers. If you're single, maybe kiss a few frogs tonight, too ;)

(Recycled picture)

This is has been my theme song for the last year, so I'm ending on this note. You can't stop my shine <3