Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas

I bought a butternut squash a couple weeks ago that I didn't use before I went home this weekend. So, before I left, I chopped it and froze it. When I had downtime (which is a rare occurrence lately), I thought about how I wanted to use this butternut squash. Enter: Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas.

I accidentally destroyed the dried black beans I was rehydrating and cooking because I forgot about them and all the water boiled out. My house currently smells stinky and was really smokey, but it's getting better. I ended up going out to buy a can of black beans because I really thought they would make the meal. I was not wrong ;)



Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas

2 cups cubed butternut squash, mashed
1/2 can low sodium black beans
1 tbsp hot sauce
5 corn tortillas
1/2 can mild green chile enchilada sauce
1/4 cup shredded 4-cheese mexican blend cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Boil butternut squash until tender. Pre-heat oven to 400*. Drain, season with salt, and mash. Mix in black beans and hot sauce. Add mixture to the middle of the corn tortillas, roll, and place into a round pan, seam side down. Cover in enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

This recipe serves 2.5 people (with each person enjoying two enchiladas). I served mine with blue corn tortilla chips and homemade guacamole :)

If you were to make enchiladas right now, what would you put into it? What combination of foods is your favorite? (I really love spinach and mushrooms over everything).