Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Island Boost Chocolate Review

If you've been reading for a while, you may remember when I reviewed Island Boost fuel this summer. Recently, I was contacted by the founder of Island Boost, Laura Mildon, to try out their new flavor, chocolate!

I have really been slacking on my runs since the Tower of Terror 10-Miler, so I took this fuel as an incentive to get out and do a decent run. I planned for six miles. My pace was relatively slow for the first 3 miles (10:15 min/mi) and I took the chocolate fuel at mile 3. I felt great after taking the fuel, and sped up a little, with my final 3 miles were 9:54, 9:54, and 9:44, definitely a negative second half! The chocolate tasted really good -- according to Laura's introductory letter, the chocolate used is of the same quality used by See's Candies and Godiva! The fact that coconut water is used to deliver the fuel was not gross at all. It really helped me get the fuel down, unlike other chocolate gels/fuels I have taken. Also, since I have already fallen in love with Island Boost's product before, I know that it works (for me) and that it is a product I can confidently stand behind.

Excuse me for looking haggard post-workout

Island Boost uses simple ingredients that are incredibly easy to digest. Because of this, I did not feel at all like I was going to poop my pants (sorry) and I didn't have the lingering GI effects that I usually get from other fuel sources I have tried. I'm not allowed to disclose the ingredients due to the fact that the fuel is still in testing and hasn't reached market yet, but trust me when I say you can pronounce all of the ingredients and that the list has less than 10 overall ingredients. Island Boost Chocolate has 70 calories total, so it's less than many of the gels I have tried/seen on the market, but I think it works great! 

Island Boost has an IndieGoGo campaign that you can donate to if you'd like to see these fuel sources in your local running store. You can donate at: http://igg.me/at/IslandBoost/x/4020709. California, where the product is currently manufactured, has some incredibly tight regulations for imposting chocolate and the ingredients needed to manufacture Island Boost Chocolate, so their fundraising number is pretty high and they need all the help they can get! You can follow their updates on Twitter and Facebook and ask them any questions you'd like! I have seen a lot of positive testimonials retweeted by their Twitter account, so go check them out!

Disclaimer: While I was provided two packets of Island Boost Chocolate free-of-charge for review, all opinions are my own and I received no other compensation

What's your favorite fuel? Have you ever tried chocolate fuel?