Monday, October 21, 2013

The Last of the Great Pretenders Tour

The highlight of my weekend came on Saturday night when I saw my favorite singer, Matt Nathanson, perform for the third time! I had been looking forward to it for months since I booked my ticket when they first went on sale back in the Spring. If you've read my blog for a while, it's not new to you that I LOVE Matt Nathanson. 

I had originally planned to go by myself because not too many of my friends know who Matt Nathanson is, but at the last minute, one of my girlfriends decided to come because the opener, Joshua Radin, was someone she had seen/met before and really enjoys, so I was glad to have the company! In all honesty, I'm glad she was there because I was a little nervous going alone because I have a lot of memories associated with Matt Nathanson concerts and my ex (he took me to the two Matt concerts I have been before). I wasn't really sure who Joshua Radin was, but when he played some of his songs, I had heard them before on my Matt Nathanson Pandora station. There was one in particular that I really related to when I was going through my break-up (that's the song I linked to his name). He was so fun and so sweet! We ended up getting to meet him after the show and he was messing around and goofing with C and I. 





Matt Nathanson began to play about 40 minutes after Joshua Radin's set ended. He started with his most recent single from his newest CD, The Last of the Great Pretenders. I am always amazed at how great of a performer he is. I'm not sure if you've ever been to a concert where the performer doesn't sound like they do on the CD, but that is not the case with Matt. He sounds EXACTLY like he does on the CD. He's also incredibly interactive with the crowd and loves to wiggle his hips. I had a great time and sang my heart out to every single song. There was one point, however, where I couldn't sing because I had a really emotional moment. There's a song on his new album called Sunday New York Times and the first time I heard it, I was on the way to a first date and I started to cry. It's very nostalgic and it's basically about two people who were so in love and one point and tried to make it work, but it ended, and it's okay that it ended. Even though it's been a little over a year since my relationship ended, and I'm really happy where I am, I still really relate to this song. Luckily, I warned C that this might happen before the concert started, so she just rubbed my back and let me sing and cry (such a good friend). After that, I was good and was able to sing and dance and enjoy myself again. We were incredibly close to the stage, yet we weren't packed in like sardines. It was such a great experience overall.





The first two times I saw him perform, I was able to meet him afterwards. He didn't do a meet-and-greet this time, and I was really bummed. I was hoping to get him to write the words "Little Victories" for me because I want a tattoo that says "Little Victories" because I LOVE the song with the same name. There's a lyric in the song that says "If the world decides to catch up with me, it's a little victory" and I think that is the perfect summary of how I live my life and view myself. Next time, Matt! 

How was your weekend? Have you ever met a celebrity?