Monday, October 7, 2013

Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend Recap

Holy moly, guys, I am EXHAUSTED! This weekend was amazing and so much fun! I'm hoping not to make this post too long and boring, but there are a lot of pictures!

Expo

I went to the expo by myself on Friday because I had to work on Saturday afternoon and Kelly couldn't go to until Saturday, so I had to go alone. I also had to rush through the expo because I had to get back in time for a charity event (if you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen the picture), so I didn't get to spend a lot of time meandering.


The expo was much smaller than the Princess Half expo, but it was definitely much more organized and a lot less hectic. At the Princess expo, I felt like I was being rushed through all merchandise areas and people were pushing and shoving each other to get the Disney merchandise. I didn't feel rushed at all through the Tower of Terror 10-Miler expo and I was able to get the shirts and merchandise I wanted without being trampled. I also checked out a few of the other exhibitors, but they were all pretty much the same as the Princess expo. I also purchased two headbands from Bondi Band that I love. When I was walking out of the Official Merchandise tent, I heard someone say "she reads your blog!" I turned around and it was Lauren, a reader of my blog, and her boyfriend! I have to say, I felt like a mini-celeb and it was such a weird feeling! I only had a few minutes to chat, but we met up at the race and she's so sweet and adorable.



Race

I am so thankful that Kel and I decided to stay in a host resort. We got transportation directly to the race and got to the corrals at 715. We took a few pictures with props before meeting up with Jenn and Lauren to snap some pics and chat a little.  Kel and I then danced for a couple hours before we headed to our corral! This was Kelly's first race and she and Lauren were in the same corral, so I'm so thankful that Lauren was there to chat with Kel while they waited to start. I was in Corral B, so I headed to my Corral and waited to start! I decided not to run with music, and it was a great decision. The energy and atmosphere of this race was awesome. It was a fast course (in my opinion) and I definitely did not feel like I had run 10 miles after I finished. I'm not sure if it was because it was a night race so I had eaten all day and had a lot of energy, but I never hit a wall. I didn't even take a gel, and I had packed two. I stopped to take a few pictures with some fun villains along the way! There were a lot of villains out, but I didn't get to see Ursula at all. I finished in 1:42.25, which is faster than what I had anticipated! Chip time said 10:15 average, but Garmin says I covered 10.1 miles at an average of 9:45, but that's not including the pauses I took for pictures. Be prepared for a photo dump:

 Before







 Jenn (she is SO sweet and I felt like we were BFFs)

 Starting Line!

 Jafar

 Spider


 Captain Hook

 Hyenas!

Kelly finished a little over two hours (I AM SO PROUD OF HER) and then we partied all night! We rode the Tower of Terror in the pitch black (SO SCARY AND SO FUN!), met Cruella De Vil, met the Evil Queen, Gaston, rode Toy Story, and Wobbled (my favorite dance) before heading back to the hotel. We didn't get home until 4:15 am and we were exhausted. I cannot believe we made it that late! The after-party was so fun, but I wish that there were more villains out for us to meet after the run. 

 Finished! 

 The hat at night



Because we walked around for 10 hours on Sunday and 4 hours yesterday, I'm taking today as a total rest day before I run again on Wednesday.

Who else ran the Tower of Terror 10-Miler? Have you ever run a night race? How many bloggers have you met in real life?