Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hitting a Wall: I've Found a Running Rut

I know I still owe you guys a recap of my November goals and I need to re-share my December goals, but I promise I will get that to you eventually (aka before Monday).

I find myself in a true running rut for the first time in my short lived running career .... just in time to start training for the Princess Half next week. I've had bouts with running where I've taken a day or two here to just reset myself and remind myself why I love to run, but I can't seem to get myself back into the mindset this time around.

I've been falling into it since the Tower of Terror 10-Miler, but it's just this last week and a half that I've noticed something: I just don't want to run. I'm bored with it, I can't motivate myself, I just don't want to do it. My legs are tired, my brain is tired, everything is tired. It's also weird, because when I forced myself to run on Monday and Tuesday, they were great runs (mentally). I just can't get myself out there to do it and I'm not sure if I should continue to dredge through the runs or take a few days to reset and start fresh next week with my half marathon training.

That being said, I sent out a plea to Twitter yesterday:



And on Facebook, asking runner friends for their favorite running routes in hopes of finding new routes to help me break the mental fatigue and stigma that are associated with the routes I run over and over again.

I'm hoping that by Monday, I will be ready to start fresh. A 3-week stint of training in Chicago will provide new scenery (and the snow will HOPEFULLY provide more reason to run fast) when I travel their later in December. I do need your advice, though.

So far, my plan of attack is to spend the rest of this week doing cross-training in hopes that I can reset my mind and refresh my legs by giving them a different sort of movement. Then, on Monday, I'm going to take my runs to some new routes suggested by fellow runners in the area. If those don't work, then I don't know what I'm going to do.

Have you ever experienced a running rut? If so, how did you deal with it? Is it better to take time off or to push through?