Friday, January 3, 2014

Food Anxieties and Running at Home

Typically, I do not consider myself to be a picky eater. Once you get over the fact that I do not eat an entire food group, I'd like to believe that I will try anything. That expectation is always shattered whenever I come home.


My parents never catered to us when we were little. We ate what was put in front of us or we didn't eat at all. Thankfully, I have always loved vegetables, so that was never an issue. It wasn't until I became a vegetarian at age 18 that my mom began "catering" to me. She will make a special meal for me so that I can eat with the family, she will read food labels to ensure they don't have any animal products listed on them (besides dairy, I'll eat dairy), and she will hunt all year long for new recipes to try when I get home.
She does find fun things like this [recycled photo]

Lately, I've been realizing that when I'm home, I've been feeling "nervous." My mom cooks with full fat, full butter, etc. My eating habits have changed a ton since I made a lifestyle change a few years ago, and I naturally stopped cooking with butter and stopped eating like my family does. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with how they eat, they just eat differently than I do. I've also been noticing that I stress sometimes about snacks and things that are in the house. Chips? Cookies? They're all here. Fruit? Not so much. I'm used to starting my day with fresh fruit every morning. Here, I didn't have fruit until Christmas morning and I had already been home a week and a half (the family just doesn't eat it as often/fast enough for my mom to buy it). I find myself reading a lot of labels, specifically looking for the word "gelatin", since that's a newly added food to my list of "things Rachel will not eat" and my mom sometimes forgets (which is okay, I have a long list of things I won't eat, apparently). That severely limits the number of snacks I can eat…since there is gelatin in a lot of common foods. Does this mean I'm not getting enough to eat? No. Absolutely not. Does this mean I've become kind of a pain in the ass? Absolutely.


The main reason I'm concerned about the foods I'm eating here is NOT because I want to keep my slim figure (although that'd be nice). It's because I'm afraid it will affect my training. I was afraid I was going to want to poop my pants every run. To be honest though, I've felt good on all of my runs. Yes, I've been frozen every run, but I haven't felt deprived or weighed down from the diet change at all. Does this mean I'll change my diet to eat full fat, full butter etc. again? No, absolutely not. But, I do think that this type of diet is what my body needs to keep me moving during training in the cold temperatures. We don't get weather like this in Florida, so I think that my body needs the extra energy to help keep everything warm and maintained during the winter training runs I'm putting in here.

These foods will be making a comeback, soon [recycled]

With that being said, I'm sure that I'm going to continue to be anxious about some foods here and continue to be a pain in the ass with my new found pickiness, but I'm also going to enjoy the hot chocolate and treats that I don't usually indulge in. And then, I'm going to run.


Do you have any food anxieties? Does your diet change depending on the seasons?