Tuesday, January 21, 2014

We'll Be Waiting Our Whole Lives

Being cooped up in the house the last few days with bronchitis has left me a lot of time to think...and browse Pinterest. During my time quarantined, I encountered this quote:


It really resonated with me, especially with my most recent relationship ending, and it got me thinking about the way I live my life. I am a firm believer in following my heart and doing what makes me happy. I am a thinker, but I am also a feeler (not in a creepy, molester way, though). Following my heart has taken me so many places. This quote, particularly, applies to certain areas of my life where I WASN'T ready, but I took a chance (whether by choice or not) and it led me to some amazing places.

For instance, I had my heart destroyed a year and a half ago. Was I ready to move on? No. Did I take a chance on happiness and build a better life? Yes. I met so many new people, went on dates, excelled at my first year of grad school, traveled, and got to the amazing place I am at now.

Does taking chances and following your heart work for everyone? I am a firm believer that yes, it does. I think that if you follow your heart, you will always come out on top, even if the ride isn't smooth. Do I think that enough people follow that way of life? No. I have had two men walk away from me because they "weren't ready." Do I want to be with someone who is not ready for me? Absolutely not. I know that I am a fabulous young woman and that I have a lot to offer to a partner. If I waited until THEY were ready, I'd be waiting my entire life. Instead, I'm taking chances to live my life to the fullest...even if I'm not ready. Life is no fun unless you get scared and get outside your comfort zone once in a while.

I am scared and excited for the trip to Europe I am planning. Am I ready to be done with grad school and be in the real world? Not necessarily. But, I am ready for a big adventure, and I think that's what's waiting for me in May.

Do you take chances? What is your favorite quote?