Wednesday, May 7, 2014

If You Could....

Now that grad school is over and being a mermaid doesn't seem like an appropriate answer to what my next move is, I have been looking at jobs in my field. I haven't been really actively seeking anything, as I leave for Europe in 12 days (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!), but it seems like some good might be coming my way. I have a couple interviews set up with prospective jobs, but I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on some things. I think I have my mind sort of made up about which job I want if I am offered it, but I'm not sure.


If you had the opportunity to work abroad for at least 2 years, in your field, would you take it? Keep in mind that the salary is (very) low, but the benefits are high (think housing, utilities, etc.). Also, the job is in a beautiful vacation destination and the cost of living is very low. The job seems like a great fit to your skills, background, and interests and is a once-in-a-life-time opportunity, but you have a lot of student loans to worry about.


Would you take the first job that interviews you just because it interests you or would you shop around?


Would you interview for a job that you applied for even if you are not really 100% sure that you're interested in that job?


Would you take a job that kept you in the states, but says that it is "flex scheduling" which may mean that it is not continuous work?


How would you handle bills/finance that you have or does that not play a role in your decision making during job searching?


Life is all about taking chances and I am at a point in my life where I am not tied down (Team forever alone ;) ) and will never have this time or opportunities again. It's scary and exciting, but totally wonderful to be at this stage in my life!


I'm excited and nervous, but welcome all opinions and input as I begin my job search! Does anyone have experience teaching abroad?