Friday, May 16, 2014

Osteoporosis Awareness Month

I received an e-mail from Mario Trucillo from the American Recall Center indicating that May is Osteoporosis Awareness and Prevention Month. Were any of you aware of that, because I sure wasn't!  Mario was kind enough to share some information with me about osteoporosis, much of which is outlined in this infographic that Mario was kind enough to provide me with:


Hip fractures cost more than $11 billion a year ($37,000 a patient!). That's INSANE!

In addition to what was provided to me by the American Recall Center, I did some research to find out what we can do, as men and women, to prevent osteoporosis. Here's what I found from this source:

1. Get enough calcium
  • Males and females 9 to 18 years: 1,300 mg per day
  • Women and men 19 to 50 years: 1,000 mg per day
  • Pregnant or nursing women up to age 18: 1,300 mg per day
  • Pregnant or nursing women 19 to 50 years: 1,000 mg per day
  • Women and men over 50: 1,200 mg per day
I know that as a vegetarian who doesn't drink milk, I may not be getting enough calcium. However, I do monitor my intake.

2. Get enough Vitamin D

  • Vitamin D is essential for the absorption of calcium and it is recommended that adults ingest 200-600 IU daily
  • Good sources of Vitamin D include: supplemented dairy products, but the best way to ingest the appropriate amount is to take supplements

3. Exercise regularly 

I know that I do this one for sure!! Doctors believe that moderate exercise (3-4 times a week) is effective for the prevention and management of osteoporosis. Weight-bearing exercises, such as walking, running, and weight lifting, are considered to be the best options. 

If you'd like more information, please visit this website: http://www.recallcenter.com/hip-replacement/

What do you do to decrease your risk of osteoporosis?