Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Great Adventure: Blarney Castle

I took a day trip the day after I got to Dublin so that I could see Blarney Castle. The day trip consisted of Cobh (Cove), Cork, and Blarney Castle. These areas are located about 2.5 - 3 hours away from Dublin, but the scenery was so beautiful, I didn't mind!





Cobh

Cobh was the last port of call for the Titanic, as well as the departure point for Irish immigrants to America. They had a Titanic Museum, but we were only allotted an hour here, so I just walked to the top of a hill and went into St. Colman's Cathedral. Such a beautiful day! 



 First family to Ellis Island




Cork

There was not much to do in Cork other than shop, but it was such a cute little town and we had lunch in the English Market. There were so many choices, but I settled on a sandwich and finished with ice cream :) 



English Market 

Made from happy cows in Dingle! 

Blarney Castle

Blarney Castle was STUNNING. We were allotted 2 hours here, but I think I needed half an hour more. I kissed the Blarney Stone. The experience was great and I'm glad I did it, but it was totally not what I expected and was really anti-climactic. The grounds of Blarney were GORGEOUS and I am SO thankful the weather was so beautiful. I have like 12,000 photos from Blarney, but I'll share just a few ;) 





 Kissing the Blarney Stone. I now have the gift of gab ;) 



The Blarney trip was one of my favorite parts of my time in Ireland. I think if I return to Ireland, I want to spend more time in the countryside, because it is so beautiful and so luscious. There's SO much I didn't get to see in Ireland, so I DEFINITELY have to go back :) 

Have you ever visited a tourist location that didn't live up to the hype? Do you prefer the countryside or city?