Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Great Adventure: Blue John Mines and Chatsworth House

As promised yesterday, here's part two of my Manchester recap. Tomorrow, I plan on having something other than travel recaps, so if you're bored with travel recaps, come back for running tomorrow!

Blue John Mines

Blue john is a rare, precious gem; it is a blue yellow color (it gets its name from how the English heard the words "blue" and "yellow" in French). In the United Kingdom, it is only found in the Blue John Cavern (where I visited) and one other location. The caves are located in Derbyshire and were GORGEOUS! Everything was entirely natural and excavated by glaciers and rivers (with the exception of the stairs/handrails). It was cold (I had to wear my gloves) and wet. 





The cavern was about a mile deep at the lowest point and had fresh water running through it. Definitely worth the trip, but there are a LOT of stairs.

Chatsworth House

Chatsworth House is where the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire live. Apparently, years ago, the family lost the house when one of the family members passed away. They had to give the government their paintings and statues, as well as their home. However, the current Duke and Duchess pay "market price" rent to live in Chatsworth House, which I thought was pretty cool! Apparently, the Duke and Duchess also come and socialize with tourists periodically, but I didn't have a chance to see them! 









These two locations were by far some of my favorite places in the Manchester area. The gardens of the Chatsworth House were giant and beautiful. I'd love to return and spend just a little more time there! 

Have you ever been in a cave? Have you ever visited somewhere and saw that "famous" person who lives there?