Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Great Adventure: Windsor Castle, Bath, and Stonehenge

This is technically London Day 2, because I took a day trip (I accidentally shortened it to "drip") to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath from London. It was definitely a whirlwind trip, too. Also, there are way too many pictures in here, so be prepared for a lot of scrolling!

This was probably one of the most stressful (now hilarious) portions of my trip. I was with a friend and we left the hostel with an hour and a half to travel to the bus station where our tour would be departing. We decided to take the bus there from our hostel, but at 8 am (we needed to be at Victoria Coach Station at 8:10 am) we realized that we were too far away to get there on time. So, we decided to sprint to the bus station, but we were still halfway across London. We popped into the Ritz and asked to use their phone to call the tour group. We get ahold of the tour group and she says "sorry, you'll have to reschedule." However, I asked if we could get picked up somewhere else along the way, and she said they could pick us up at Harrod's (a HUMONGOUS department store), but that we'd have to take a taxi. So, we sprint out to the street, the doorman gets us a taxi, and we get to Harrod's....right as a Premium Tour Bus is driving by. Because we thought it was our tour bus, we chased after them. We then proceeded to panic for the next ten minutes before I went across the street and a nice gentleman lent me his phone. I called the tour company again, and the woman said "don't worry, they'll be there soon!" Right as she said that, my friend bangs on the door to tell me that they're here, so we sprint across the street and get onto the bus! The rest of the day went up from there, but that was one of my favorite stories!

Windsor Castle

This was the first stop on our trip. Windsor Castle was HUGE and gorgeous (over 950 rooms) and is the Queen's favorite castle! We weren't allowed to take photos indoors (of Windsor Castle or Windsor Abbey)... but I may have snuck a few ;) 








#stereotypical tourist (excuse my stomach showing)

Windsor Abbey

Bath

Bath is home to the Roman Baths, where the citizens of Bath would take communal baths. It was very cool, but it was SO crowded that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked. The water is from a natural hot spring and has a high mineral concentration. Obviously, the green water is no longer swimmable, but it was still cool to see! 

Jane Austen's Home













 Bath Abbey





Stonehenge

I loved Stonehenge. We got there after 5, so there were hardly any tourists there, and I had the BEST time! It was really cool to explore and have the place to ourselves. I may or may not have been tempted to run and touch the rocks ;) 







If you're still here, why do you think Stonehenge was built? Have you ever had any travel "horror" stories that turned out to be hilarious after the fact?