Friday, July 11, 2014

Why I'm (Probably) Not Running the Princess Half

If anyone still reads this blog (it's really gotten away from running since my injury and trip to Europe), I figured I'd share why I'm not running the Princess Half this year.


I'm feeling great in terms of my hamstring and I am SLOWLY (but surely) building my mileage back up. In fact, I cannot wait to start training for another half marathon. However, I'm not sure that Princess will be the half marathon I sign up for.


Don't get me wrong, I LOVED running Princess the last two years. I had the BEST time and it holds a special place in my heart -- it was my first half marathon (and race) and I set my most recent PR there. But, I don't love the price, and last year, I had some complaints with post-race activities (particularly when workers were rude to me and refused to give me a space blanket although I was visibly shivering). I can't really afford the race right now, as I spent most of my money in Europe, went without working for six weeks, and work at a job where I don't make a lot of money. However, that's not the biggest reason why I'm (probably) not running the Princess Half this year.

This is:


I have been offered, and have accepted, a position as a sea turtle researcher in the Bahamas! It's scary and exciting, and I honestly don't know what it will bring or where I will be in terms of finances/work in February, so there is a chance that I could run Princess. However, I'm counting myself out of the race this year and will be busy living a new adventure! 

As for this little blog, I'm not sure what's going to come of it. I leave for Costa Rica in about a week, and if you read my blog at this time last year, I didn't have internet for most of the trip. And besides, I was terrible about blogging in Europe. 

I want to bring everyone along with me on my adventure, so I might just end up changing the name of this blog. It's still going to be fitness, food, and weirdness, but it'll have an island mix in it now! My little fitness blog has become quite the little travel blog this summer.

Where is your dream job? Is anyone running the Princess Half this year?