Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Getting Back Into Shape

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't self-conscious a bit about my body since I got injured. I put on a little weight, I'm squishy, and I know that I'm not as strong as I was before I got hurt. However, I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

It's hard to not have access to a gym (when I graduated, my ID stopped working at my University's gym). I've been using the Nike Training Club (Thanks Sharsti for always chatting it up) app (which is free), but sometimes, I can't even motivate myself to do that for my MUCH needed strength workouts.

As far as running goes, it's hard. I'm nowhere near the level of fitness I was when I got injured. I ran 4 miles last week and that's the longest that I've run in a consecutive run since March/April. It was hard. I stopped to walk a few times. I got discouraged. But, at the end of the run, I was happy that I did it. I was happy that I pushed through. It was terrible, I had to stop for the bathroom twice, and I was over two minutes slower than I usually run, but I did it.


I'm still aiming for 3 runs a week, although I'm hoping to bump that up to 4 runs. Sometimes my hamstring still nags me (particularly the day after a run), so I'm working on strength in that department. I know that it'll take a lot of work to get back to where I was, but it'll be worth it. Besides, it's nice to have my favorite stress reliever back as I wait for my move to the Bahamas. I'm beginning to get discouraged on that end, too. Patience is something I will have to hold onto for now.


If you've been injured, how long did it take you to get back to pre-injury? What is your favorite fitness app?