Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Turtle Tuesday #1

I'm hoping to start this new series on my blog, which I'm calling Turtle Tuesday. It'll be the day of the week where I give you updates on my new job, any fun things we're doing, and life in the Bahamas. Hopefully, a few of you will find it interesting!

My first full day of work was on Saturday. We spent the morning grinding bait to set on our BRUVS (Baited Remote Underwater Video Systems). Basically, we put a bag of bait on a cinder block, attach a GoPro, and see what predators live in the creek and how that might affect turtle feeding habits. I don't have any photos of that, but it was a ton of fun, and I'm hoping to get some more photos throughout my time here to share.

We have to wait 2 hours before we can pull up the videos, so we went snorkeling. I ended up finding 10 whole sand dollars, which was super exciting! Then, we pulled up our BRUVS and headed back to the office to get ready for dinner.


I headed home after dinner, but I was back on Sunday for some more fun! We weren't allowed on the ocean because of Tropical Storm Cristobal, so we spent the morning looking at the videos we got from our BRUVS on Saturday. We had some activity! We mainly saw small snappers (fish), but we saw sharks and barracudas as well! That was pretty exciting :) After we finished with our videos, we had lunch, I got some food to stock my apartment in case it stormed (spoiler alert: we barely got rain), and then I took a walk on the beach to document the storm clouds coming in.



I spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking, napping, and cooking dinner in my own apartment :) On Monday, I went to work at 7 am. We had our weekly meeting, did chores, had breakfast, and then left for an adventure! The ocean was still "closed," so we took a trip "down island" (it's actually north of where we live...) to the Glass Window Bridge, an old Banyan tree, and a cave system. It was gorgeous and I am so happy I chose the Bahamas as my new home :)










Today, we are off to do some turtle corralling! Stay tuned for next week!

Have you ever been part of scientific field work? What is your favorite ocean creature?