Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Turtle Tuesday #4

I keep meaning to write non-turtle related posts, but I honestly have VERY little free time, and the free time I do have, I want to spend in bed with my chocolate cereal (p.s. the Bahamas is making me fat).

While most of the time my job is super fabulous, there are some times when things don't go according to plan, so that's what I'm going to touch on today :) (#ScienceDoesntAlwaysWork)

1. People using vehicles/boats that we have signed out, causing us to (usually) change our plans
----This has happened 3 or 4 times in the month that I have been here. It's frustrating, yes, but it usually works out for the best.

2. Sunburn.
--- I have raccoon eyes and a permanent watch tan line


3. Unwilling participants/volunteers
---- My first week on the job consisted of working with volunteers who did NOT want to be there. It was a tough first week, but it really made me appreciate all of the people who DO want to help us out.

4. Stings, bites, and bruises
--- My poor legs look like they want to fall off. I'm covered in bug bites (my legs look like I have chicken pox), I've been stung by a jellyfish twice, and I have bruises all over my arms and legs from boat mishaps, equipment, or something turtle related.


5. Boat malfunctions
--- In the past week, our boat has broken down twice and we have had to be towed in. Today, our research class was on the boat with us, but they got a good snorkel in and eventually got to see some turtles, and that's all that matters!

Honestly, these are the "worst" parts of my job so far. Yes, it's hard work. Yes, I work a lot (today is my first day off in 9 days.... and I work 14 hour days). But, it's fabulous and I'm lucky to even be working a job like this and having the opportunity to touch and catch turtles. Life is good in the Bahamas.


What's the worst part of your job?